Official Review: The Ugly Duckling by Pat OBrien

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Official Review: The Ugly Duckling by Pat OBrien

Post by ciecheesemeister »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Ugly Duckling" by Pat OBrien.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Ugly Duckling by Pat O’Brien is a retelling of the classic fairy tale. The book includes beautiful watercolor illustrations depicting the well-known story of a swan whose egg was misplaced in a duck’s nest. When the cygnet hatches, he does not fit in with the family of small, graceful, yellow ducklings.

The cygnet’s duckling siblings are unkind, and he eventually runs away and grows up on his own. As an adult, he is welcomed by a flock of swans. When he sees his reflection in the lake, he realizes that he is no longer an awkward, fluffy cygnet, but a beautiful, graceful swan.

This is a simple story that is appropriate for children of all ages. Kids who are just learning to read can follow along with the text. The text format is bold and easy to see against the white background. The watercolor pictures are beautiful and will appeal to both children and adults.

I believe that the book was professionally edited, as there were no errors in the text. There was nothing that I disliked about the book. The story encourages readers to realize that everything has its own beauty. If one group is unkind because of certain traits, another might not be.

Although I always loved the story of the Ugly Duckling, I feel that it might be worth mentioning to children that the swan’s real beauty does not lie in his external appearance. He was beautiful all along. One does not need to possess a conventionally attractive appearance to be worthy of kind treatment.

I give The Ugly Duckling four out of four stars. Parents and educators can feel good about sharing this book with children in their lives. Kids will benefit from the inspiring story as well as appreciating the beautiful artwork accompanying the tale.

The Ugly Duckling
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Awesomeliker
Currently Reading: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-awesomeliker.html
Latest Review: The Demon of the Well by James B. Hendricks

Post by Awesomeliker »

As a child the Ugly Duckling was one of my favourite stories to read. It's nice to see that this kind of stories is still alive!
Thanks for the amazing review!
Live your life in a way that you won't look back and regret things :D
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

There's a lot of pressure to fit in nowadays. This children's book will teach a kid or two to do better. Thank you for the review!
Unique Ego
Favorite Book: The Tales of Little Lady M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unique-ego.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Unique Ego »

I love any retelling of time-honored stories, such as the Ugly Duckling. The message they convey for kids is timeless, and I'm sure this is as well.
Vannaskivt
Currently Reading: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
Bookshelf Size: 803
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vannaskivt.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Vannaskivt »

There is always room for an additional telling of a classic. I especially like that nice watercolor illustrations accompany this story. I would pick this up for my kids. Thanks for the review!
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

It is nice to see the old classic again. The Ugly Duckling has such a wholesome theme. I am interested in watercolor pictures in the book. Thanks for your review.
ChelseaE7
Currently Reading: The Ugly Duckling
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ChelseaE7 »

Its a very nice book, i think it teaches children that everyone is unique in their own way. The picture and the colors of the book attracts the children even the more younger readers. Its also good for bedtime stories
Naaya123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naaya123.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Naaya123 »

I think this is exactly the kind of book children should be learning from. Great review!
Precious Naiti
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-naiti.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Precious Naiti »

Children really need to be reassured that they are beautiful and lovely because we never know the bullying they might be going through in our absence. Every chance we get, we should remind our kids of how absolutely amazing they are. This book is a good reminder of that.

Return to “Children's Books”