Official Review: Shh...Mommy has a Migraine by Penny Teague

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Official Review: Shh...Mommy has a Migraine by Penny Teague

Post by ciecheesemeister »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Shh...Mommy has a Migraine" by Penny Teague.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Shh…Mommy Has A Migraine is a children’s book written by Penny Teague and illustrated by Abid Rozdar. The story begins with a little girl and her mother preparing to go outside and play. However, the mother develops a migraine and is unable to go outside and play with the child. The little girl plays outside with her older sister. She does supportive things, such as bringing her mother an ice pack and a cold drink.

When the children’s father gets home, the little girl asks why her mother has migraines and wonders if she did anything to cause them. The father explains that the child is in no way at fault for her mother developing migraines.

I felt that the story was written in a clear, straightforward fashion using characters that children can relate to. I believe that it was professionally edited. I did not find any errors in the text.

The illustrations are very appealing and fit well with the story. I had some difficulty reading the text against the colored background. I do have cataracts, and a person with no visual anomalies might not have trouble reading the text. However, it might be advisable to put the images on one page with the text on an adjacent page to ensure that the text is clear and easy to read for older individuals and others with vision challenges.

There was nothing that I disliked about the story. The aspect that I liked most was the way the father explained to the child that she had done nothing to contribute to her mother’s migraines and the fact that he was supportive of both his wife and the children. With any chronic illness, it is helpful when family members are supportive rather than blaming the person who lives with the condition or being curt with children for asking questions.

I give this book four out of four stars. I believe that it is an appropriate and effective teaching tool for young children who have a parent or other relative who lives with a chronic condition, particularly migraine headaches.

Shh...Mommy has a Migraine
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Unique Ego
Favorite Book: The Tales of Little Lady M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unique-ego.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Unique Ego »

I like that the little girls opts to help her mother instead of throwing tantrums. A good lesson for kids.
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

The child must have had a high level of concern to even think she could have caused the migraine. I hope to get to read this.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

These types of books are always good to help children understand an illness a loved one might be going through. Thank you for your wonderful review.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: My Spouse, my friend by Ingiete Oyama

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

What a caring little child who portrays compassion! Nice review.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Sarah Sonbol
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

I like children books that show children to be supportive to others. This really teaches children a great and an important lesson. Thanks for the nice review.
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June

Return to “Children's Books”