Official Review: Sock Lobsters by Michelle Bulriss

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ari Martinez
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Victoria's Choice
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ari-martinez.html
Latest Review: Finding A Way Forward by Karen Games

Re: Official Review: Sock Lobsters by Michelle Bulriss

Post by Ari Martinez »

The story seems like a great way to teach kids about grief. I like that one of the socks is grouchy and negative because a lot of children's books only have "positive" characters that are always optimistic. I also like that the grandma is realistic. This seems like a great book. Thanks for the review.
Sapna Mallah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Sapna Mallah »

:techie-studyingbrown:
This is an interesting and unique children’s book that addresses the emotions associated with loss and grief. But don’t worry, this story has a happy ending! It was delightfully well-written and includes lovely illustrations. The story centers around dealing with grief and loss. There were illustrations of Sebastian as he went through each stage of grief, and the emotion was labeled on the picture as well. This was a great way to identify the feeling and possible thoughts one might have during that stage of grief. This work would be excellent at helping children to identify certain feelings they may have when in difficult situations associated with loss. It would also help to normalize these feelings in a way that would help children to grow emotionally.
The only thing I disliked about the work was how it was formatted on the Kindle. Some of the pages only took up half the screen, which made the text quite small and somewhat difficult to read. I didn’t find any errors, and the language was simple enough for children to understand without feeling oversimplified. I highly recommend this work to anyone who has children in their lives! :bow-yellow: :bow-yellow: :bow-yellow: :bow-blue: :bow-yellow:
Sapna Mallah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Sapna Mallah »

Great book as a teaching tool for the stages of grief. Unfortunately as it is a kid's book, it has a happy ending which could give a child a false sense of hope when dealing with grief. That's the only reason I took a star off.

Return to “Children's Books”