Official Review: Sock Lobsters by Michelle Bulriss

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Olga Markova
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Postscript Murders
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olga-markova.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Re: Official Review: Sock Lobsters by Michelle Bulriss

Post by Olga Markova »

I read this book, and I agree that it is a fun read for children and adults alike. I also agree that grandmother's character was portrayed authentically and that the stages of grief were described very well through Lola's and Sebastian's feelings when Lola dropped off the laundry basket. And I would too award the perfect rating to this lovely book.
Abiodunakinola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abiodunakinola.html
Latest Review: A Secret Life by Mina Bancheva

Post by Abiodunakinola »

Michelle Bulriss, in her book "Sock Lobsters," adeptly integrates the stages of grief into the whimsical tale, creating a poignant narrative suitable for both young readers and adults. The magical socks, Sebastian and Lola, become endearing characters as they navigate the emotions of separation, ultimately delivering a heartwarming conclusion that assures parents of its positive impact on children without inducing sadness. Nice review.
Abraham Ozo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abraham-ozo.html
Latest Review: From GED to PhD by Barbara Crump

Post by Abraham Ozo »

Captivating tale of separation and resilience in 'Lost Socks.' Expertly navigates grief stages for young readers. Professionally edited, bright illustrations, and a reassuring, happy ending. A valuable read for both kids and adults.
Phina15
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Phina15 »

I love the fact that this book is good for children and also adults, it is so relative to our daily lives, emotions were shown in the right way and it is good for kids because it eventually had a happy ending. I love happy ending books for kids and not the tragedic ones. Welldone to the author
Newton Mbazima
Currently Reading: America: Lost in Place
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Newton Mbazima »

This review presents a compelling insight into the day to day life of children. Having an elderly lady show geniuine care and knitting being a time consuming task shows how much care for the granddaughter the elderly lady had. Moreso by making them look like lobsters. Such details allows me to draw interest into the details of the story want to read it not just because it is a children's book but that the story is well routed in the simple life of this young girl and the challenges faced emotionally through the ordeal of loosing Lola for both Sabastian and Emily, being the main story of the book. Such a nice touch to mention that it does have a happy ending and i would love to read through to know what happned in the end.
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Janet Kimetto »

"Sock Lobsters" by Michelle Bulriss is described as a beautiful book about magic, love, loss, and reunification. I love the idea of having two magical socks with unique personalities and that this book has a happy ending (children would love that). Thanks for the review!
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Sudhamargaret

Post by Sudhamargaret »

AH! What an interesting story. I loved reading this book and my children enjoyed it very much. Yes, its indeed a magical book . My kids enjoyed it a lot. I recommend all kids as well as adults to read it to rejoice themselves.
grace ruhara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-ruhara.html
Latest Review: The Transcendental Tangle: Untying the Enigmatic Knots of the Infinite by Matthew Emmanuel Weinberg

Post by grace ruhara »

I appreciate that Socks Lobsters by Michelle Bulriss helps children know and understand that they will encounter losses in their lives at a very young age and helps them learn how to overcome them.
grace ruhara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-ruhara.html
Latest Review: The Transcendental Tangle: Untying the Enigmatic Knots of the Infinite by Matthew Emmanuel Weinberg

Post by grace ruhara »

I appreciate that Socks Lobsters by Michelle Bulriss helps children know and understand that they will encounter losses in their lives at a very young age and helps them learn how to overcome them.
arktechdesigns
Currently Reading:

Post by arktechdesigns »

Your review of "Sock Lobsters" is really great! You explained the story well and showed how it helps both kids and grown-ups understand feelings. It's nice how the book talks about emotions and makes us care about the characters. Awesome job explaining why you liked it!
yubraj raj

Post by yubraj raj »

The book seems to be must read for those who loves reading children books. The book is discussing all about the good and bad thoughts.
Sveta Ch

Post by Sveta Ch »

This so beautiful story for children. I think they will be so happy travel with the main characters of this book.
Black Indigo
Currently Reading: Relieved
Bookshelf Size: 609
2024 Reading Goal: 40
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Black Indigo »

What a unique approach to grief and loss for children. I do not doubt that this book will be a great tool for children's emotional development. Thank you for the review.
Ihotu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Ihotu »

Thank you for sharing such a detailed and positive review of "Sock Lobsters" by Michelle Bulriss. It sounds like a heartwarming and well-crafted children's book that addresses themes of loss and resilience in a gentle manner. The characters, especially Sebastian and Lola, seem to offer valuable lessons for both young readers and adults. It's great to hear that the author portrayed realistic and relatable characters, making the story even more engaging.
kulkarnisairam
Currently Reading: The Date Farm
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by kulkarnisairam »

Beautiful book to read for Kids. The story is perfect and evokes lot of emotions. Worth investing your time in it

Return to “Children's Books”