Official Review: Sock Lobsters by Michelle Bulriss

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Aleena Augustine
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aleena-augustine.html
Latest Review: The In-Between by Christian Espinosa

Re: Official Review: Sock Lobsters by Michelle Bulriss

Post by Aleena Augustine »

The idea of magical lobster-shaped socks, Sebastian and Lola, guiding the story and exploring themes of grief in a child-friendly way piques my interest. The relatable characters and the positive resolution, coupled with bright and compelling illustrations, make it sound like an enchanting and insightful experience for both children and adults. Great review!
DL Gardene
Currently Reading: The Reverend Psychopath
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by DL Gardene »

Sock Lobsters

Grandma knits magical socks for her granddaughter. Once the granddaughter receives the knitted lobster magical socks, the socks are aboe to talk to her. The pair of socks remind me of yin and yang (light and dark) togetherness, you can’t have one without the other. One of the socks got lost on the way to the laundromat and the pair went through separation anxiety (its what I call it) until they were back together. If you love magic and humor then you will love this book.
Sonia_Gonzalez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonia-gonzalez.html
Latest Review: Are You Love Smart or Love Stupid by Dr. Rachel Sims

Post by Sonia_Gonzalez »

Sebastian and Lola are magical socks that look like lobsters. Knitted by a lovely grandmother, no one imagined the adventures and growth the socks, and Emily, a sweet little girl went through.
Aremu Titilopemi Funmilayo
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aremu-titilopemi-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Essential Gut Health for Women Over 50 by JL Service

Post by Aremu Titilopemi Funmilayo »

I can't say I've experienced losses because I've not lost anyone I have a close relationship with before, regardless since the book looks so interesting, I'd love to read it. Thanks for the review and big kudos to the author.
Jincy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Jincy »

A wonderful read for children written by Michelle Bulriss. A pair of magical lobster socks knitted by a very loving grandmother for her wonderful grand daughter Emily... the two socks have dual personalities on life. One seeing the positive side and the other one focusing on the negative. When one of the socks go missing, both of them feel a range of emotions, which is very clearly detailed for children. Well done!
Francis Kapola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-kapola.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Francis Kapola »

Crafted during a challenging era, this piece illuminates the profound grief experienced by children, offering valuable insights into teaching effective coping mechanisms.
Kenneth Onyenwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenneth-onyenwe.html
Latest Review: Chasing Dragons between Dimensions by Matthew Emmanuel Weinberg

Post by Kenneth Onyenwe »

"Sock Lobsters" by Michelle Bulriss details the interesting story of a woman who gave her granddaughter socks with emotions. This is a very interesting children's book.
mrlefty0706
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: What If They Knew
Currently Reading: This Is Your Last Warning
Bookshelf Size: 647
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 61%

Post by mrlefty0706 »

“Sock Lobsters” is an incredible children’s book by Michelle Bulriss. The story begins with an elderly lady knitting a pair of magical socks that look like lobsters for her adult granddaughter. When the granddaughter receives them, she can hear the socks talking to her. One sock is named Sebastian, who tends to be grouchy and he does not have a very bright outlook on life. The other sock is named Lola, and she is very delightful and looks for the best in people. The socks immediately took a liking to Emily. Tragedy struck one day on Emily’s way home from the laundromat when Lola fell out of the basket. Emily and Sebastian were very upset and endured the stages of grief. A great book that has sad moments but has a happy ending. Good for reading to children to help them understand the grief process.
Neha Panikar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neha-panikar.html
Latest Review: Are You Love Smart or Love Stupid by Dr. Rachel Sims

Post by Neha Panikar »

Thankyou for the review! I love books which have a gentle and wise way of revealing the truths of life, albeit harsh, but then also showing the brighter aspects of life. Makes the children value and appreciate the little things even more. Bookmarking this for my young son and nieces and nephews!!
Navya Patel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-navya-patel.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Navya Patel »

This picture book was enjoyable to me. It does a fantastic job of illustrating the stages of grieving for young children through the tale of a lost lobster sock. The joyful ending was the only thing that bothered me. Usually, grief doesn't go away on its own when the cause of the pain goes away. I believe that section gives kids the wrong impression. I deducted one star as a result. If not, the tale and the cute photographs could start a discussion about this subject.
Geeta091997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Geeta091997 »

The sock lobster story is based on a fictional story. It's amazing story for children.
Veronica Hunter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-veronica-hunter.html
Latest Review: Theater of Lies by Ted Griffith

Post by Veronica Hunter »

"Sock Lobsters" is a delightful children's book that introduces young readers to the endearing characters of Sebastian and Lola. Michelle Bulriss effortlessly blends magic, emotions, and valuable life lessons into a captivating story that resonates with both kids and parents.
Mercy Wambui Ndungu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-wambui-ndungu.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Post by Mercy Wambui Ndungu »

Thank you for your thoughtful and insightful review of "Sock Lobsters" by Michelle Bulriss. Your detailed account of the storyline and characters truly captured the essence of the book, and I appreciate the care you took to highlight its positive aspects.

It's heartening to hear that the author successfully conveyed the stages of grief to young readers, offering a valuable lesson while maintaining a balance of comfort and humor. Your personal connection to Sebastian's self-reproach adds a layer of empathy to the review, making it relatable to anyone who has experienced loss.
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
EBERE WRITES COCEPT
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebere-writes-cocept.html
Latest Review: The Vasterbottensost Affair by Robert Mucci

Post by EBERE WRITES COCEPT »

Michelle Bulriss has created a delightful and magical world in "Sock Lobsters," where the talking socks, Sebastian and Lola, become endearing companions for the readers. The story's positive handling of emotions and its happy ending make it a perfect addition to children's literature. Congrats on the BOTD.
Ma Kristine Dakoykoy Rennie
Currently Reading: In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ma-kristine-dakoykoy-rennie.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
Reading Device: B0BNMD3CFC

Post by Ma Kristine Dakoykoy Rennie »

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on "Sock Lobsters" by Michelle Bulriss. It sounds like a heartfelt and engaging story that delicately navigates themes of loss and companionship, all wrapped up in a magical tale about talking socks!

Return to “Children's Books”