Official Review: Whale of Wonder by Marie-Paule Mahoney

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
emeraldlaurice012
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emeraldlaurice012.html
Latest Review: Poetic Thoughts of a Young Lion in the Asphalt Jungle by Steven Ederson Sr

Official Review: Whale of Wonder by Marie-Paule Mahoney

Post by emeraldlaurice012 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Whale of Wonder" by Marie-Paule Mahoney.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Whale of Wonder, by Marie-Paule Mahoney, revolves around a conversation between Notch and his mother, Mama Tahlequah. They are both orca whales, a species that is dangerously close to extinction in the present. As we follow Notch and his mother swim across the ocean, we are enlightened as to what it’s like to live as an orca whale. We learn how they communicate and how they grieve their dead. Most especially, we learn that although these animals pose no harm to humans, humans are the very reason why there are so few of them left.

I can only describe this book in two words: simple and beautiful. The presentation of the book’s plot is so simple yet so meaningful. Although the entire book is just a conversation between the two whales, we learn so much from it that it doesn’t feel as short as it really is. The illustrations in the book are very beautiful, contributing greatly to my reading experience.

The thing that I liked most about this book is that it contains actual facts. Aside from life lessons, readers will learn factual knowledge that they may not have known before. For example, we learn that these whales use sound waves to navigate their way across the sea and to look for food. There was a portion in the book where the mother whale carried her dead daughter for days to find a resting place for her. Interestingly, this was actually based on a real event.

I didn’t find anything to dislike about this book. Everything was on point. It was short enough that young readers won’t have a hard time finishing it. I would recommend this book to parents who want something entertaining and educational to read to their children. However, I would not recommend this book to readers who don’t like reading books with talking animals in it.

I found only one error in this book. I liked this book so much that I would recommend this not only to children but to all ages. This is only a 15-minute read, and you will definitely learn a lot. The illustrations were my favorite part. It was so beautifully done that I would sometimes take a minute just to take it in. For that, I am awarding this book 4 out of 4 stars.

Whale of Wonder
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
whitemunchkin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by whitemunchkin »

Thanks a bunch for this meaningful review! Being an Early Childhood Teacher, children's book such as this one makes me excited to tell the story to littles! I just want to say that a good children's book has 2 defining factors: great illustrations and a lesson the kids can actually make use of in their life. This book will be added on my "Want to read" list :angelic-flying:
Last edited by whitemunchkin on 11 Dec 2020, 05:05, edited 1 time in total.
Faithy_Goody_Star
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithy-star.html
Latest Review: Autism: One Grandparent's Roadmap by Geoffrey Robinson

Post by Faithy_Goody_Star »

This book will be an informative read as readers will gain insight on these species of whales. Great review
emeraldlaurice012
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Poetic Thoughts of a Young Lion in the Asphalt Jungle by Steven Ederson Sr

whitemunchkin wrote: 11 Dec 2020, 05:04 Thanks a bunch for this meaningful review! Being an Early Childhood Teacher, children's book such as this one makes me excited to tell the story to littles! I just want to say that a good children's book has 2 defining factors: great illustrations and a lesson the kids can actually make use of in their life. This book will be added on my "Want to read" list :angelic-flying:
It really was such a good book!! Kids will truly learn something from this :D
emeraldlaurice012
Currently Reading:

Faithy_Star wrote: 11 Dec 2020, 11:01 This book will be an informative read as readers will gain insight on these species of whales. Great review
Yes! Readers of any age will learn something from this book. :D
Judith Lloy
Currently Reading: Living Well with Depression and Bipolar Disorder
Bookshelf Size: 187
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judith-lloy.html
Latest Review: Honest Endings by Katherine Cullen

Post by Judith Lloy »

I want this book now, it sounds like one my 9 yr old would love and have me read to her over and over. Thanks for the great review and introducing me to this title!
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

I like knowledgeable and teachable books too. It is great that actual facts are included in the book. This is a pretty convincing review. Awesome review!
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Pandora10
Favorite Book: Remembering Christmas
Currently Reading: The Road to Management
Bookshelf Size: 116

Post by Pandora10 »

This sounds like an interesting book focused on Orcas, the largest member of the dolphin family. I love the cover for the book. As the plot is easy to understand and there are some beautiful illustrations this book should appeal to young readers and parents or teachers will appreciate the educational aspect of the story. Thanks for the interesting and thoughtful review on this book.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

What a wonderful sounding book! It sounds perfect for all ages. How heartwrenching about the mother whale carrying her dead daughter on her back for days! A wonderful example to humans about caring for family! Thanks for the excellent review!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
smolbird
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Pariah by Robert C. Swetz
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by smolbird »

I adore books on animals that provide information about them. I'm sure people of all ages will benefit from reading this book. Thank you for the review!
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a wonderful book for kids, and not only them, to learn about these cetaceans and their intelligence using a real-life story as its foundations. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Lostsoul20
Currently Reading: House of Hoops
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by Lostsoul20 »

I love the book cover. I really liked your review. I may give this a try, even though I don’t have children of age to read it to, and I normally shy away from books with animals talking to one another. I will add it to my shelf.
Misael Carlos
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

It is good to know that this book contains facts about whales. I am looking forward to digging into this novel to learn much about these fascinating animals. Nice plot and it seems to promise a wonderful story. Congrats!
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

Gorgeous cover photo! I am surprised that it is only a 15-minute read, I could already feel myself starting to enjoy the conversation between mother and son and was expecting a longer book (probably wishful thinking ;-)).
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your review. The story of the orca whales sounds nice, especially the facts about their lives, such as their usage of sound waves or their mourning for the death.

Return to “Children's Books”