Official Review: Whale of Wonder by Marie-Paule Mahoney

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1903
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Official Review: Whale of Wonder by Marie-Paule Mahoney

Post by Surabhi Rani »

The children's book 'whale of Wonder' authored by Marie-Paule Mahoney is a fictional tale based on the facts of life. It is the story of an orca whale and her son, residing in an ocean. Such mammals belong to the largest member of the dolphin family. The book contains exquisite illustrations of marine mammals and the ocean by Ginger Triplett. Mama Tahlequah residing in the ocean answers to the inquisitiveness of her son Notch, swimming next to her. The whole story is a conversation between the two of them. The little whale is curious about its habitat, survival, and even the death of orcas. He asks his mother various questions and the mother tells him about the relationship between human beings and the environment in which they live. The second part of the story is composed of general knowledge ideas about orca whales.

The story of the two whales quenched the remote thirst of knowledge within me! It reveals certain facts about the orcas unknown to the human world. I find the narrative entertaining and instructive! I liked the plot of Mama Tahlequah telling Notch about hearing mysterious voices of comfort and hope in the moments of grief in her life! The point mentioned in the book that pregnant orcas need our help to have a chance at motherhood is fairly instructive! I also liked the fact that orcas are matriarchal and they live for over eighty years. The book sheds light on how human designs and motives cause harm to nature in the present times. Another similar story of survival I know about is 'Little Bluebird' by Erin Murphy Welch. The author portrays in the aforementioned book how the bluebird Emmie, although hatched with one wing shorter than the other, is perfect just the way she is. I commend the central idea of the struggle for survival in the story of whales. Struggle in life makes us strong and resistant. The external circumstances in our lives are a stimulus to our growth and progress.

There is nothing that I disliked about the book and the story is exceptionally well written. I only found one grammatical mistake in the entire book.

I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars for its high educational quality and thoughtful purpose for children!

This is a good book for children learning to reflect and explore in their lives! Also, the readers that love the fauna would appreciate the story. The book would be suitable for mature readers with a growing awareness of the wonders of the world! Indeed the story of the book is an ocean contained in a drop!
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

This is such an amazing book with such a beautiful message. It is true that humans pose a great threat to whales around the world. The language used by the author is sweet and precise, and the illustrations are enchanting. Excellent book, and equally excellent review.

Return to “Children's Books”