Official Review: Adventures of Klaus, The Happy Schnauzer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Official Review: Adventures of Klaus, The Happy Schnauzer

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Adventures of Klaus, The Happy Schnauzer" by Terry E Gunn.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Imagine being inside the head of your pet dog. The story Adventures of Klaus, The Happy Schnauzer by Terry E. Gunn allows you to do just that. You will get to be inside Klaus’s head from the time he gets up in the morning with the sun until he lays himself down to sleep at bedtime. You will get to go on walks with him, see him interact with friends, see him loved on by his family, and much more. Children will be drawn into the story by both the illustrations and fun rhymes.

Gunn uses a fun, whimsical, poetic style as she shares Klaus with her readers. A varied rhyming pattern is used: sometimes two words will rhyme in a verse; other times, you will see three rhyming words. For example, “Good morning, Mr. Sun! The day has begun. Follow me! Let’s take a run.”

Illustrator Asiri Kulathunga brings Klaus visually to life with colorful, detailed watercolor drawings. I particularly enjoyed the way Kulathunga used a muted, smudged method to show movement. You see this best when Klaus is speeding past you as he heads out of the house. There is also a photo of the real Klaus, an adorable Schnauzer, whom the book is based upon.

The author presents an activity at the end of the book, where she instructs readers to find different objects on each page. This section would have been more beneficial if it had been included at the beginning of the book. The activity itself will be fun for the kids, as it engages them in the story. In addition to this activity, there is a Youtube link to an animated version of the story.

I rate Adventures of Klaus, The Happy Schnauzer 4 out of 4 stars. The book is exceptionally well-edited. Note that this is a revised version of the book. The minor issue with the activity location doesn’t warrant giving the book a lower rating. Toddlers and preschoolers will giggle alongside their parents as they immerse themselves in this short, fun story. I do not see it as an early reader for slightly older children as it lacks the phonetic structure needed when one is learning how to read.

Adventures of Klaus, The Happy Schnauzer
View: on Bookshelves
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

I love animals and stories about them, and I appreciate it when authors look at the world through our pet's eyes.
Goral
Currently Reading: A Brief History of Time
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goral.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Goral »

Wow! A book that is written from a dog's point of view will certainly be fun to read! Thanks for the review!
You can't buy happiness but you can buy books, and that's kind of the same thing
Mouna1995
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mouna1995 »

I love the story and animals as well, I always wondering what's going on in their heads, but now I do
Etienneza
Currently Reading: The Ancestor's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-etienneza.html
Latest Review: The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy by H. Nattanya Andersen

Post by Etienneza »

The child in us is one again set free just for a short sojourn of reveling, fabulous! Thank you for lifting the lid on such a glorious children's and adult read!
Catherine15
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catherine15.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Post by Catherine15 »

Kids will so much love this volume alots, they always attracted to genres that has illustrations, and fun rhymes. Nice review.
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Mouna1995 wrote: 05 Feb 2021, 09:12 I love the story and animals as well, I always wondering what's going on in their heads, but now I do
Yvonne Monique wrote: 05 Feb 2021, 04:13 I love animals and stories about them, and I appreciate it when authors look at the world through our pet's eyes.
Goral wrote: 05 Feb 2021, 06:35 Wow! A book that is written from a dog's point of view will certainly be fun to read! Thanks for the review!
Yes, it was fun looking at life through the eyes of a dog. I always want to know what my pets are really thinking!
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Etienneza wrote: 05 Feb 2021, 15:12 The child in us is one again set free just for a short sojourn of reveling, fabulous! Thank you for lifting the lid on such a glorious children's and adult read!
It is certainly a fun one for adults to read with their children.
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Catherine15 wrote: 07 Feb 2021, 17:58 Kids will so much love this volume alots, they always attracted to genres that has illustrations, and fun rhymes. Nice review.
I concur. The rhyming will make children smile.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I would love to get inside a dog's head, especially when we are talking about a happy one :). Thank you so much for this lovely review!
Karajane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Karajane »

This reminds me of myself; I was always trying to figure out what my pets were thinking when I was young. It sounds like I would've loved to read this as a kid. Thank you for your thoughtful review!
Tarilan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarilan.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Tarilan »

I have always wanted to know what animals think about how they are treated, why they are treated that way. Klaus could be of help to me. Great review!
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Sounds like a cute story. Great review!
MiracleChild
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by MiracleChild »

I enjoyed what I read. It is well thought out and seeing it through a dogs point of view. The adventure Journey of a dogs life.
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Post by maggi3 »

This book sounds adorable. I love that it’s based off of a real Schnauzer too! I’ve always wished I could talk to my puppy and see what goes on inside her head lol. Thanks for your review!
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:

Return to “Children's Books”