Official Review: Mr. Figgletoes' Toy Emporium by M.J. Evans

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ldpuff
Currently Reading: Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ldpuff.html
Latest Review: The Merriest, The Beariest Bears by Doreen M. Atkinson

Official Review: Mr. Figgletoes' Toy Emporium by M.J. Evans

Post by Ldpuff »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mr. Figgletoes' Toy Emporium" by M.J. Evans.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mr. Figgletoes' Toy Emporium by M.J. Evans is a story of kindness and bravery. In this story, Mr. Figgletoes owns a toy shop in which all of the local children come to buy unique toys. Towards the beginning of the story, the children of the town began to go missing! Much to the surprise of the private investigators and parents of the children, buying a toy at Mr. Figgletoes’ Toy Emporium is the only connection the children share. Unbeknownst to the townspeople, a spurned witch has taken the children hostage in an underground lair. This witch, known as Miss Twizzle, believes that all children are evil and nasty. The children are faced with quite a challenge if they ever want to see their families again.

My favorite part of this book would have to be the underlying message and theme of kindness conquering all. Especially seeing that this book is for children, the message is appropriate. All kids face bullying in one type or another at a time in their lives. Unfortunately, not all children can withstand the cruel treatment while staying true to themselves. This book has characters that allow for connections to be made from all different angles. Even a child who is a bully, not a victim, can connect with this book and possibly come out a different child upon completion of the story.

I did not have a least favorite part of this book, as I honestly enjoyed the entire thing. I found no grammatical or spelling errors while I was reading the book. Mr. Figgletoes’ Toy Emporium was exceptionally well written and well edited. I look forward to reading more from this author.

I rate this book at 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this book to late elementary or middle school students. I am also a fan of the vocabulary used within this book. The author not only provides a well written story and meticulously developed characters, but she also provides an opportunity for academic growth while reading this book. As a teacher, I will always promote a book with a dual purpose!

As a final note, all I have to say is, read this book! While this book is a quick and easy read, it is delightful. I do have one word of caution for the younger reader, there are some scenes depicted that could be frightening. The scenes are not graphic or disturbing, but for a young mind they could be unappealing.

Mr. Figgletoes' Toy Emporium
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

This does sound like a fascinating book! I love when authors use a "richer" vocabulary in their books. I love the theme of kindness as well. Thank you for a great review!
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Jagiine
Currently Reading: Children of Virtue and Vengeance
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jagiine.html
Latest Review: A Collection of Poetry by Cheree Scott

Post by Jagiine »

This sounds like a wonderful tale, though I'm initially quite sad for the man that he's being framed by an evil witch. It's great to know the book is so well written and worth the read. Thanks for your review!
Ldpuff

Post by Ldpuff »

cd20 wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 13:55 This does sound like a fascinating book! I love when authors use a "richer" vocabulary in their books. I love the theme of kindness as well. Thank you for a great review!
It really was a unique book! I enjoyed it and it was an easy read.
Ldpuff

Post by Ldpuff »

Jagiine wrote: 19 Jun 2021, 21:07 This sounds like a wonderful tale, though I'm initially quite sad for the man that he's being framed by an evil witch. It's great to know the book is so well written and worth the read. Thanks for your review!
As a child it would have been harder to read as it was clear that he was being framed, but as an adult it did not bother me much.
Asma Aisha Ansari
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Roadside Picnic
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 806
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asma-aisha-ansari.html
Latest Review: When Black Shoes Turn Red by Tom McKenna
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Asma Aisha Ansari »

Ldpuff wrote: 23 Jan 2021, 11:27 Even a child who is a bully, not a victim, can connect with this book and possibly come out a different child upon completion of the story.
That's admirable.
And kindness is the most beautiful trait a human can have. I'm stating the obvious but this book will be a great guide for children.
Thanks for this amazing review :tiphat:
Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. - Agatha Christie
Ldpuff

Post by Ldpuff »

Mindful Wordsmith wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 09:31
Ldpuff wrote: 23 Jan 2021, 11:27 Even a child who is a bully, not a victim, can connect with this book and possibly come out a different child upon completion of the story.
That's admirable.
And kindness is the most beautiful trait a human can have. I'm stating the obvious but this book will be a great guide for children.
Thanks for this amazing review :tiphat:
I agree completely!
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

This is a great book which both a bully and a victim can relate.
Some victims of bullying learned to hide what they are inside because they fear of being picked on. (Even bullies do that, too!)
It doesn't hurt to be kind.
Thanks for your lovely review.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wadonnelly.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by WADonnelly »

What a fantastic sounding book! Thanks for writing such a compelling review!
Ldpuff

Post by Ldpuff »

Dzejn_Crvena wrote: 29 Jun 2021, 08:34 This is a great book which both a bully and a victim can relate.
Some victims of bullying learned to hide what they are inside because they fear of being picked on. (Even bullies do that, too!)
It doesn't hurt to be kind.
Thanks for your lovely review.
It never hurts to be kind, so right!
Ldpuff

Post by Ldpuff »

WADonnelly wrote: 29 Jun 2021, 13:23 What a fantastic sounding book! Thanks for writing such a compelling review!
Thanks for commenting!
Reader-247
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-247.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Reader-247 »

Love the message of the book and the enriching vocabulary. It is definitley an added bonus for a child to grow morally and academically. Thanks for a beautifully written review :)
Ldpuff

Post by Ldpuff »

Reader-247 wrote: 30 Jun 2021, 15:23 Love the message of the book and the enriching vocabulary. It is definitley an added bonus for a child to grow morally and academically. Thanks for a beautifully written review :)
Thanks for reading!
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Lovely review! I am so curious to see what happened to the children! I might read it for myself just to find out :)
Ldpuff

Post by Ldpuff »

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 02 Jul 2021, 13:17 Lovely review! I am so curious to see what happened to the children! I might read it for myself just to find out :)
You should! Such a cute book.

Return to “Children's Books”