Official Review: Color the Pages Write the Story

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Official Review: Color the Pages Write the Story

Post by AvidBibliophile »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Color the Pages Write the Story" by Suzanne Tilden-Mortimer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Color the Pages Write the Story is a unique children’s activity book. Written and illustrated by Suzanne Tilden-Mortimer, it contains visual prompts and sketches that are designed to encourage unbridled creativity. The illustrated story is 27 pages long, and most pages are wordless, so every child’s copy will eventually result in a completely different finished version! After having several other books published, this 80-year-old author decided to finally release her small collection of whimsical desert drawings.

Sonoran Desert creatures like mice, rabbits, snakes, donkeys, coyotes, and lizards congregate on sand dunes and admire the moon. Roadrunners observe big trucks encroaching upon the desert vegetation, spitting out muffler exhaust and disrupting habitats. Some kind-hearted souls then come along in a CACTUS RESCUE van to liberate and rehabilitate the affected flora and fauna.

There are four lead-in pages that introduce the types and shapes of empty text boxes and dialog bubbles that will appear throughout the book. The THINKING bubbles look like cloud puffs, the TALKING boxes have directional quote tails, and the SHOUTING ovals have jagged edges. Young readers and writers will enjoy learning to distinguish what the various shapes are designed to indicate. There is also a page that prompts them to title their book and proudly add their name.

One main cactus has humanistic facial features and displays a discernible range of visible emotions. I enjoyed that the book included some agricultural facts and state park representation. The author explains how native plants are protected in Arizona and mentions how permits are required for any desert plant to be legally relocated. This story presents a problem-solving scenario that highlights an environmental challenge.

There was nothing at all that I disliked about this activity book, and the editing quality was superb. I also reviewed an earlier version of this book and can now confirm that all of the previous typographical issues have been corrected and addressed. I would recommend Color the Pages Write the Story to any child with writing capabilities that possesses a desire to interpret simple sketches in order to write their own story. The author has specifically focused on making this book a great fit for children between the ages of six and eleven.

I gladly award this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. Children will enjoy coloring the characters while they identify various plant and animal species. Books like this help developing young minds identify innocent victims, emotions, instigators, and solutions. Stories like this help kids learn how to develop empathy and compassion at a young age. Stringing together logical assumptions will also assist children in developing their perceptive reasoning skills.

Color the Pages Write the Story
View: on Bookshelves
RetiredOBNurse
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by RetiredOBNurse »

What an amazing book this appears to be! To be able to look at the drawings of different animals in their unique surroundings and then write your own story is a creative endeavor for a child to accomplish. In this technology world of today many children will benefit from thinking on their own and ultimately writing a book! Wonderful review by the way!
AvidBibliophile

RetiredOBNurse wrote: 30 Jan 2021, 07:57 What an amazing book this appears to be! To be able to look at the drawings of different animals in their unique surroundings and then write your own story is a creative endeavor for a child to accomplish. In this technology world of today many children will benefit from thinking on their own and ultimately writing a book! Wonderful review by the way!
A creative endeavor indeed! And it would certainly challenge any child to think outside the box with nothing more than a few visual prompts. The desert locale featured is home to many scurrying and scampering species, but the cacti and vegetation are just as important too! It was a darling book. 🌵
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

It must be so satisfying to be able to review a book for the second time and see that earlier noted errors have been corrected. That shows that doing reviews really serves a purpose. The book sounds like an original concept and great fun for kids.
AvidBibliophile

Yvonne Monique wrote: 01 Feb 2021, 10:55 It must be so satisfying to be able to review a book for the second time and see that earlier noted errors have been corrected. That shows that doing reviews really serves a purpose. The book sounds like an original concept and great fun for kids.
Satisfying and meaningful for sure. It’s nice to feel like we played a small but substantial roll in making these books we review all that they can possibly be! It shows that the authors truly care. It shows that they’re truly proud of the works they publish and release. I hope this book of desert prompts goes on to touch many small lives! 🙏🏼
Kasun Perera
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasun-perera.html
Latest Review: The White Coat Effect by L.B. Wells

Post by Kasun Perera »

It sounds like a good book to enhance the creativity of children. Thank you for the descriptive review
AvidBibliophile

OBC Reviewer wrote: 01 Feb 2021, 21:23 It sounds like a good book to enhance the creativity of children. Thank you for the descriptive review
Most definitely!! Unbridled creativity knows no bounds. This one was super cute and inspiring. Thank you.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

A great review for a lovely and educational book. I feel like reading it for myself :). Thank you for your recommendation!
AvidBibliophile

raluca_mihaila wrote: 02 Feb 2021, 08:42 A great review for a lovely and educational book. I feel like reading it for myself :). Thank you for your recommendation!
It was a sweet collection of desert animal and cactus depictions! Creative minds will love building their own story as they flip through the pages. Thank you 🗯
dotysgirl55555
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by dotysgirl55555 »

This book is amazing for kids to explore their creative side! The book also seems to he very educational. The review was super descriptive!!
AvidBibliophile

dotysgirl55555 wrote: 03 Feb 2021, 13:45 This book is amazing for kids to explore their creative side! The book also seems to he very educational. The review was super descriptive!!
Totally agree with you on those points; it’s both inspiring AND educational! I hope many children will get the chance to enjoy it. Thank you for your sweet comment! 💚
Precious Naiti
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-naiti.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Precious Naiti »

The cactus is a nice touch and i feel it makes the book more appealing to children. Great review!
AvidBibliophile

Precious Naiti wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 21:51 The cactus is a nice touch and i feel it makes the book more appealing to children. Great review!
It was a lovely little book indeed. Creatively approachable and appropriate for young minds! 💚
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

This is such an innovative book! Letting children finish the story and the illustrations! Brilliant book, and amazing review.
AvidBibliophile

Medhansh Bhardwaj wrote: 31 Aug 2021, 04:30 This is such an innovative book! Letting children finish the story and the illustrations! Brilliant book, and amazing review.
It’s definitely a blank slate sort of publication, but kids with active and creatively colorful imaginations will just love the cactus-themed challenge here! 🌵

Return to “Children's Books”