Official Review: Little Dreamer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Official Review: Little Dreamer

Post by Laura Lee »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Little Dreamer" by Nell Jones (Sharon Jones).]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Little Dreamer is an utterly charming children’s story told by the talented Nell Jones. The story opens with Little D, a little girl daydreaming in class. Readers are invited into the imaginative child’s rich, inner world. Little D is blessed with a teacher, Miss Amelia, who understands the value of creative imaginations. Rather than scold the little girl, Miss Amelia refers to these flights of fancy as imagination field trips. The story continues as D pursues her education through grade school, middle school, high school and even college, always inspired by the positive influence of her first grade teacher.

Little Dreamer is perfect for emergent readers who will enjoy listening to the story, picturing it in their own minds. It can also be a good choice for Level 2 readers who are gaining confidence in their own ability to sound out words, but may need help with some of the longer words.

Although the book is only 38 pages, the story is well-paced and keeps the reader’s attention well throughout. One thing I particularly appreciated about this little story was how the author skillfully wove recurrent themes throughout the entire book. For example, in first grade, Miss Amelia shows Little D photographs of former students and even a former teacher of her own. Miss Amelia’s teacher called his students his “little cabbages,” an endearment Miss Amelia continues and which, at the end of the book as D pursues her dream of being a teacher, she plans to call her own students. Miss Amelia also comes to D’s high school and college graduations, always with her trusty camera to chronicle the event. These little themes, so skillfully interwoven throughout the entire story build a thematic continuity that is very pleasing.

The book also has original art illustrations by the talented professional children’s book illustrator, Dayne Sislen. I always appreciate original art in children’s books, art that is more than the too-common computer-generated images so often found in today’s children’s books, and these illustrations do not disappoint. The black-and-white line drawings capture enough detail to fire young readers’ imaginations, holding their attention throughout.

Little Dreamer has been extremely well-edited. There were only a few very minor issues with capitalization that, quite frankly, would be overlooked by most. I am thrilled to give Little Dreamer four out of four stars. It deserves every single one of them.

Little Dreamer
View: on Bookshelves
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kennedy NC »

I wonder why Little D was daydreaming in the class, but this aspect lures my attention to this book. Great review.
Etienneza
Currently Reading: The Ancestor's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-etienneza.html
Latest Review: The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy by H. Nattanya Andersen

Post by Etienneza »

Wow, an impressive review. Eloquent and descriptive .Miss Amelia creates the natural space for her learners to aspire to what they do naturally, Montessori measures,fabulous!
Albaou Amira
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-albaou-amira.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Albaou Amira »

All kids need kind and caring teachers and I'm glad this has been portrayed beautifully in this book.
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: I Have Proof of a Higher Power by Ioan Dirina

Post by Harty Muli »

I like that this book encourages imagination in kids. Nice review.
Krishnajee100
Favorite Book: THE STORY OF MY LIFE
Currently Reading: art of war
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krishnajee100.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Krishnajee100 »

A very nice review. Every child should have a Miss Amelia :).
Eddy E
Currently Reading: In the Meantime
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eddy-e.html
Latest Review: Sena's Black Ross by Linda k jones

Post by Eddy E »

A lovely review. It has a soft and enduring theme of love and innocence. Every child needs that one, kind hearted teacher who is there to encourage and push them to do better. This review say it all
Drianie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Drianie »

Miss Amelia sounds like an amazing teacher. I can see this story being inspirational and entertaining to many young readers. I wouldn't mind giving it a read myself. Thanks for the excellent review!
Chinma1026
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Chinma1026 »

A very good review.
I think the book would be a very good book for children to easily relate with.
olum anyango
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by olum anyango »

I believe this book creates the perfect picture of teacher learner relationship nicely put.

Return to “Children's Books”