Official Review: The Mystery at Turkelton Manor

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Official Review: The Mystery at Turkelton Manor

Post by Verna Coy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Mystery at Turkelton Manor" by Kraig Dafoe.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Mystery at Turkelton Manor by Kraig Dafoe is a middle-grade novel for kids aged ten and up. As the title and cover suggest, it is a mystery that takes place at Turkelton Manor.

Nate is spending his summer at his grandparents' house near Turkelton manor. It's a vast manor house complete with secret passages and interesting grounds. The family has two kids near Nate's age, and they become fast friends. Sleepy Shores is a town that seems much like its name, but when Nate sees something suspicious happening, he clues in his new friends Robert and Rebecca Turkelton. Will the three of them solve the case? To find out, you must read this page-turner!

I loved the classic chapter headings such as "A Bump in the Night." The illustrations that accompanied the chapter headings added interest and color to the book. I enjoyed that each image was a hint of the intrigue that was coming next.

The author did a great job at developing Nate's character throughout the story. He is the quintessential investigator/twelve-year-old boy. He gets up in the morning, grabs his notebook, and doesn't bother to brush his hair or his teeth, leaving one to wonder if that's why all investigators look just a little bit scruffy. These details endear the main character to the reader.

What I liked best about this novel is the old-world feel of the mystery even though it is set in the current day. The laptop, video games, and web-surfing didn't infringe on the story's plot at all. I didn't even notice them that much while reading.

This story pulled me in right at the beginning and kept me there. There is just the right amount of suspense and mystery to keep any discerning fan turning the pages to see what happens next. The writing style flowed easily, and I enjoyed the way the pace stayed fast. Nate's adventures never slowed down, and I could feel how life is for a child of twelve years. I found myself smiling many times over Nate's attempts to get out of chores so he could continue his investigations.

This book reminded me of mystery novels for the young adult genre I had read in the past, such as Trixie Belden, Nancy Drew, and The Hardy Boys, to name a few. I could find nothing to dislike about this work. I recommend it to young adults as well as older people who love a good, entertaining mystery. I can't think of anyone it wouldn't appeal to in some way.

The book has many great points, but unfortunately, it could use another round of editing. I found more than ten errors that ranged from spelling mistakes and wrong words to missing punctuation. For these reasons, I am rating it with 3 out of 4 stars. It could gain the highest rating with some editing, as it truly is a wonderful story perfectly suited to its age group and genre.

The Mystery at Turkelton Manor
View: on Bookshelves
Drianie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Drianie »

When I started reading your review, Nancy Drew immediately came to my mind. This is the type of book that will bring back nostalgic childhood memories of my many book adventures. I'm sure young readers will enjoy the mystery along with the endearing characters. I enjoyed reading your excellent review. Well done!
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Miller56 »

This book sounds like an interesting read with just the right balance. I look forward to reading it after it has been edited. Thanks for the review.
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wadonnelly.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by WADonnelly »

This book would definitely benefit from a round of editing but otherwise sounds pretty good. I enjoyed your review too!
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Post by Harty Muli »

I like solving mysteries and reading about them as well. So its a book i'd really want to read. Thanks for the enjoyable review.
Verna Coy

Post by Verna Coy »

Drianie wrote: 17 Feb 2021, 05:01 When I started reading your review, Nancy Drew immediately came to my mind. This is the type of book that will bring back nostalgic childhood memories of my many book adventures. I'm sure young readers will enjoy the mystery along with the endearing characters. I enjoyed reading your excellent review. Well done!
I am a mystery fan as well, and this book was a great read. Thanks so much for your comments!
Verna Coy

Post by Verna Coy »

Miller56 wrote: 17 Feb 2021, 09:55 This book sounds like an interesting read with just the right balance. I look forward to reading it after it has been edited. Thanks for the review.
Thanks for your comments!
Verna Coy

Post by Verna Coy »

WADonnelly wrote: 17 Feb 2021, 16:28 This book would definitely benefit from a round of editing but otherwise sounds pretty good. I enjoyed your review too!
I agree, it is an enjoyable storyline. Thanks for your comments!
Verna Coy

Post by Verna Coy »

Slater678 wrote: 17 Feb 2021, 20:06 I like solving mysteries and reading about them as well. So its a book i'd really want to read. Thanks for the enjoyable review.
I like solving mysteries too, I never guess 'whodunnit' correctly, but I always have fun trying. Thanks for your comments!
Bhuvanachandra
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Bhuvanachandra »

The book is so interesting and draws ur eagerness. People who like adventures and thriller movies would enjoy reading this book. It is an interesting and also helps u read more fiction books like this. I loved ur review and the title of the book
Dimi1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dimi1.html
Latest Review: One Woman's Long and Lonely Walk by Gail Hart

Post by Dimi1 »

It's always sad when editing deducts stars from the rating of an interesting book. I like the mystery and your review is really intriguing. I will wait for a re-edited version to have a look, however. Congrats on a great review either way!
Precious Naiti
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-naiti.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Precious Naiti »

I like the fact that the book is fast paced and i love a good mystery novel any day. Amazing review!

Return to “Children's Books”