Official Review: Cricket and the Singing Frog Sisters

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Cricket and the Singing Frog Sisters

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Cricket and the Singing Frog Sisters" by Dana Lynn Andrews.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The frog sisters live on a lily pad with a blue flower shading it. They love singing about numbers. The sisters head off to a number singing contest, and Cricket finds their lily pad. He thinks their blue flower is yummy. What will happen when the frog sisters come back and find Cricket on their lily pad?

Cricket and the Singing Frog Sisters is written by Dana Lynn Andrews and illustrated by Afzal K. It's a children's book meant for young readers.

The numbers one, two, and three are featured in the book. This would be helpful for children just learning their numbers, as it reiterates these several times. However, it would be more beneficial if the numbers went up to at least five.

The vocabulary is a bit more challenging than one would expect for the target audience with words like "magnificent" and "shimmering." Educators and parents might need to provide guidance for these bigger words. However, I will say that the editing was impeccable. I didn't find one error in the whole of the story. I applaud the author and editor for this because it's even more important to be grammatically correct in a children's book.

In addition, the word-to-picture ratio seemed perfect. Most often, a quarter of a page of words would be at the top with a picture below. Then, there would be a full-page picture opposite. Thus, it's less intimidating and holds the wandering attention of a young child better.

The illustrations were my favorite part of the book. They were extremely colorful and would hold a child's interest well. The frog sisters had these lips that made me smile. My favorite drawing was of the sisters sitting on their lily pad singing. Most of the text is plain black, but the numbers are colorful. This helps to emphasize them.

The biggest drawback was the ending of the book. The author intimates that there's a twist. There is, but the story just seems to stop. I can see children asking what happened next. I know I did. Perhaps the author meant for the children to come up with an ending of their own, but it makes the book feel incomplete.

All in all, Cricket and the Singing Frog Sisters is a cute book. It would be enjoyed by younger children, classes, and families. Due to the more advanced vocabulary and the abrupt ending, I give it a rating of 3 out of 4 stars.

Cricket and the Singing Frog Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

It's quite difficult for children to accept an incomplete ending. I can also picture them questioning the adult or teacher present. Not all students like to create their own ending. Thank you for reviewing this book.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Mariana Figueira
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Cloud Atlas
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana-figueira.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Mariana Figueira »

I wouldn't want an abrupt ending so why put it in a children's book? How unusual. Still, sounds lovely and educational. Thank you so much for your beautiful review.
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

RayRuff wrote: 08 Mar 2021, 02:39 It's quite difficult for children to accept an incomplete ending. I can also picture them questioning the adult or teacher present. Not all students like to create their own ending. Thank you for reviewing this book.
I agree. It just needed a few more pages in my opinion. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

MarianaFigueira wrote: 08 Mar 2021, 12:15 I wouldn't want an abrupt ending so why put it in a children's book? How unusual. Still, sounds lovely and educational. Thank you so much for your beautiful review.
I agree. I don't like abrupt endings even as an adult. It has a great concept, though. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
Geofrey24
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Geofrey24 »

The grammar is nice if the teachers and parents help children in interpretation but the abrupt ending part of the book will let the children desire to know on what happened next.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Geofrey24 wrote: 09 Mar 2021, 05:49 The grammar is nice if the teachers and parents help children in interpretation but the abrupt ending part of the book will let the children desire to know on what happened next.
Yes, children might be wondering exactly what happened. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

The book has a funny book title, and seems like a good read for younger children. The abrupt ending is a bit awkward, though.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Yvonne Monique wrote: 14 Mar 2021, 17:53 The book has a funny book title, and seems like a good read for younger children. The abrupt ending is a bit awkward, though.
Yes, I just didn't quite understand the ending. I know the author can fix the issues, though. It was cute. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
Etienneza
Currently Reading: The Ancestor's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-etienneza.html
Latest Review: The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy by H. Nattanya Andersen

Post by Etienneza »

I have to agreed. Becoming familiar with numbers one two and three and committing the much more challenging vocabulary to memory, does not sit well .Perhaps as the parent or teacher is provided with an opportunity to provide further insight, the words serve the purpose of soliciting responses from the children?
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Etienneza wrote: 16 Mar 2021, 07:46 I have to agreed. Becoming familiar with numbers one two and three and committing the much more challenging vocabulary to memory, does not sit well .Perhaps as the parent or teacher is provided with an opportunity to provide further insight, the words serve the purpose of soliciting responses from the children?
Yes, parents and teachers could use this as a starting point. It's a good concept anyway. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
Precious Naiti
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-naiti.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Precious Naiti »

I read the title of the book and immediately said to myself, “i have to read this review”. Im disappointed that the ending is unsatisfactory but it still seems like a great book. The reviewer did an amazing job though.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Precious Naiti wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 21:45 I read the title of the book and immediately said to myself, “i have to read this review”. Im disappointed that the ending is unsatisfactory but it still seems like a great book. The reviewer did an amazing job though.
Yes, the ending left me disappointed as well. It's too bad because it's an interesting premise. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Children's Books”