Official Review: Magical Boat Ride by Judith Russell-Tooth

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gabrielle Sigaki
Currently Reading: Business Basics BootCamp
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-sigaki.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Official Review: Magical Boat Ride by Judith Russell-Tooth

Post by Gabrielle Sigaki »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Magical Boat Ride" by Judith Russell-Tooth.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Fritz, the Dachshund, and Miss Honey, the Beagle, are two curious dogs that live with Mr. and Mrs. Sunshine in a big house surrounded by various trees and a lake. Fritz and Miss Honey weren’t allowed to swim in that lake, but Fritz still went there. He found out that the place was beautiful, with blue water, flowers, and white Herons. Miss Honey also went to the lake looking for Fritz. However, she didn’t find him and went back to their house. Mr. and Mrs. Sunshine couldn’t find him too, but later he came back tired. After some time, Fritz said to Miss Honey that he found a magic boat guarded by a snake in that lake. Now, both of them will explore this mysterious boat to discover the secrets of this lake.

Magical Boat Ride by Judith Russell-Tooth is a short children’s book with some colorful illustrations. My favorite picture involved the dogs at the edge of the lake, talking about exploring this prohibited place, which displayed a vivid image of the house and the backyard. It’s a novel that brings some magical aspects of fairy tales, such as animals who can talk. The story also teaches lessons about the importance of kindness, love, forgiveness, respect for nature, animals, and each other.

My favorite part of this book was the author’s descriptive style that produced the beautiful scenarios with the appropriate words. These representations associated with the illustrations created a fantastic world that catches the reader’s attention and stimulates the kids’ imagination.

There was nothing to dislike in this children’s novel. However, the book lacked some character development since we know very little about Fritz and Miss Honey. Still, since I enjoyed all the aspects of this book, I’m not going to take a star off my rating. I found exactly five errors in it and another round of editing could fix them. Those errors didn’t distract me, and since I found less than ten errors, I can say that this book seems professionally edited.

Therefore, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It’s a lovely children’s book that brings the curious dogs named Fritz and Miss Honey as the main characters. I recommend it to those young readers who enjoy fairy tales with talking animals, educational lessons, and beautiful illustrations. However, adults who like reading short magical fables might enjoy this book too.

Magical Boat Ride
View: on Bookshelves
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

This sounds lovely! I used to think children's books were the easiest to write, but they really aren't. They need to have a good moral to it. This book seems to focus on good lessons. Thank you for your review.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Jennifer Aldo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-aldo.html
Latest Review: War Tower by Joseph Leo DeCelle

Post by Jennifer Aldo »

If you liked this book so much as to give it a full rating, I think I would love to read. Thanks for your great review.
Etienneza
Currently Reading: The Ancestor's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-etienneza.html
Latest Review: The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy by H. Nattanya Andersen

Post by Etienneza »

The review sketches the scene and the characters in the book discerningly. Nothing more is needed to inspire both adult and child to enjoy the author's journey. It reminds me of my own Dachshund and its adventurous nature!
Precious Naiti
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-naiti.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Precious Naiti »

This books seems to encapsulate all the important lessons parents want their children to learn and i find that very inviting. I would most definitely want to read this book because of this review.
Dimi1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dimi1.html
Latest Review: One Woman's Long and Lonely Walk by Gail Hart

Post by Dimi1 »

It seems like a fan story that is probably going to engage children to read it. Thank you for a really interesting review!

Return to “Children's Books”