Official Review: Grace's Amazing News by Deborah Faulks

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 510
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 16%

Official Review: Grace's Amazing News by Deborah Faulks

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Grace's Amazing News" by Deborah Faulks.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Grace’s Amazing News, written by Deborah Faulks, is a book told from the perspective of a little girl named Grace. She is a positive and humorous child that tells stories about her family members. These family members include her parents, her sister Coco, her brother Chris, and her sister’s pet bird, Sunshine. Grace uses these stories to help describe the powerful love God has for her and everyone in the world.

What I liked most about this book was Grace’s way of telling stories. Children will be able to relate to her because of the innocent way she views the world and her situations. Each chapter has a lesson about God and a lesson about how to treat others and behave appropriately. Even though religious ideas as used throughout the book, they do not feel forced in any way. However, I do believe that parents and children that follow Christianity will enjoy it the most.

The crafts at the end of some of the chapters were unexpected but cute. I especially enjoyed the one that the author suggested involving the acronyms for the word purpose. Using the meaning of each letter in this word, children can make a fun craft. With adult supervision and help, creative children will likely have fun with these crafts.

If there were any dislikes that I wanted to point out, it would be the change in font once the reader gets to chapter ten. The author includes research about animals in her book and includes citations for it. I am not sure if this issue is because I received a PDF version of the book, but I found myself squinting while reading this chapter and subsequent chapters. Although I wear glasses all the time, they did not help with this section at all. Older adults with vision impairments that may want to read this to their children or grandchildren may struggle with reading these chapters.

There are a couple of aspects that I would like to mention. The author chose to use paragraphs to write the story; there are not just a couple or a few sentences per page. Only one illustration is in the entire story, and it only shows up closer to the end. Because of these facts, I would recommend this book to kids aged ten to twelve, with reading assistance from an adult.

There was one grammatical error in the book, but it was only a missing period. The lack of many grammatical errors indicates that the author had this book professionally edited. I wanted to give it the full score, but the font problem was too big to ignore. Unfortunately, this resulted in me awarding Grace’s Amazing News with 3 out of 4 stars.

Grace's Amazing News
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

Hmm, I wonder if children would be interested in a book with only one book? All the kids I know seem to like the pictures. I guess if they read it with an adult, as you said, it would be best. Thank you for your review.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Jennifer Aldo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-aldo.html
Latest Review: War Tower by Joseph Leo DeCelle

Post by Jennifer Aldo »

The font change would really be a discouragement to interested readers like myself. I hope the author fixes it in the next publication.
Alheotuci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alheotuci.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Post by Alheotuci »

This is a thorough review. I appreciate your honesty, really.

Return to “Children's Books”