Official Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (T...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gabrielle Sigaki
Currently Reading: Business Basics BootCamp
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-sigaki.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Official Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (T...

Post by Gabrielle Sigaki »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape)" by Steve William Laible.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Stevie Tenderheart is a young boy who doesn’t like his name. He wanted to have a name that seemed dangerous and mysterious. He was even willing to change it legally. In his opinion, kids should be able to choose their names when they were ten years old since people are stuck with their names forever. He tried using the name BO, but it didn’t last. After some time, he decided to use Billy Jack as his new name, even though his mother didn’t accept it. However, he has more adventures and mischievous acts than those. Stevie, or better said, Billy, liked to have some dangerous ventures, but one of these experiences won’t end exactly as he planned.

Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) is a children’s book that brings the story and the adventures of Billy Jack and his mischievous escapades. Billy is a boy who has a vivid imagination and a lot of creative thoughts that will make his experiences even more thrilling.

My favorite part of this book was the author’s style that makes the volume look like it was written by a child sometimes. For example, when talking about kids’ interests in having names and scars that passed a mysterious atmosphere to look cool around their friends. Besides, some digressions follow the flow of the narrator's mind, which makes the story dynamic and funny since he tells the events according to his memories and imagination.

There was nothing I didn’t enjoy in this book. The author uses some complicated words for kids, but he also attaches definitions between the paragraphs that make the story easy to understand. I found less than ten errors in my reading, and they didn’t disturb me. Therefore, I’m not going to lower my rating because of it. In general, I can affirm that this book seems professionally edited.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It’s a novel for children over ten years old about an adventurous and curious boy. I recommend it to those young readers who want to read a short children’s book without illustrations, just some photographs. Adult readers who like funny novels from the perspective of a lively boy might also enjoy this story.

Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape)
View: on Bookshelves
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis

Post by Harty Muli »

I like how the book relates what's on the mind of kids. It reminds me how I wanted to change a few aspects of my personality when I was growing, but of course it wasn't admissible. Thanks for your wonderful review.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Somehow this makes me think of Huck Finn.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

This sounds like a fun adventure book for kids. Great review!
Precious Naiti
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-naiti.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Precious Naiti »

I can totally see my son reading this book and enjoying it. Thank you for a wonderful review.

Return to “Children's Books”