Official Review: The Battle of Spencer Street

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Official Review: The Battle of Spencer Street

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Battle of Spencer Street" by Evi De La Roca.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Fear is usually common in children, but even adults get scared. However, it's often advised for one to face his/her fears and conquer them.

The Battle of Spencer Street by Evi De La Roca is an inspiring children's book. It's a story about a young boy named Sander. He is a smart, intelligent, and brave child who has a dog called Tuffet. He prefers playing with his dog to playing with other kids. Sander has a phobia for darkness, is easily frightened, and worries about everything. Now he must face a fierce crow named Geranium Hoggledy-Poggledy. Would Sander overcome his fears?

Reading this book was informative for me. I like that it contains underlying lessons. The author teaches young readers that they can deal with their fears and harness their inner strength. They will also learn to be daring and courageous as these virtues will help them take up challenges and risks as they mature. While reading this book, I pondered a lot about my past and present fears, and I made some decisions on how to face them head-on.

This book is a short and easy read. The author developed unique and exciting characters. There are only a few of them, so kids would easily relate and learn from them. The narration of events is straightforward, and the dialogue between characters flows seamlessly. Also, the author's writing style is clear and easy to follow.

My favorite part of this book was that Mrs. Luis, a neighbor, observed and identified Sander's problem and went all out to offer a solution. She decided to discuss with him, encouraged and advised him against his fears.

The illustrations have vibrant colors that would appeal to young readers and get them invested in the book. The pictures are crystal clear and portray the right messages. For example, the illustration of when Sander came face to face with Geranium stirred up suspense in the book and made it intriguing.

There is absolutely nothing that I dislike about this book. I found no grammatical errors or ambiguities in it. Hence, it is exceptionally edited and deserves a perfect rating of 4 out of 4 stars. This book is suitable for children between the ages of four and ten, teenagers, and adults facing anxiety and fear issues.

The Battle of Spencer Street
View: on Bookshelves
Etienneza
Currently Reading: The Ancestor's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-etienneza.html
Latest Review: The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy by H. Nattanya Andersen

Post by Etienneza »

Courageous ! Thank you for an enlightening review. Children learn better via modelling than by verbal communication only. The book models behavior that provides clues to what is possible , to alternative ways of doing things and creative solutions for a happy conclusion. Sander created his own solution from what he had to his disposal, ingenuity.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I love the idea of an older neighbor becoming a mentor to a child having difficulties that no one else seems to see. The underlying lessons of courage and the ability to deal with anxiety are ones every child needs. I'll be thinking about this one when my grandson gets a bit older. Thanks for the recommendation!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Killing Machine
Bookshelf Size: 428
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a great book for children, as they can learn to face their fears, so it can be useful for teachers to read it in school. Thank you for your terrific review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
TheMazeRunner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themazerunner.html
Latest Review: Lady of the Play by Deena Lindstedt

Post by TheMazeRunner »

The perfect book for kids and teachers! I am recommending this to my teacher friends!
TheMazeRunner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themazerunner.html
Latest Review: Lady of the Play by Deena Lindstedt

Post by TheMazeRunner »

Helping a child on time is crucial. I love this book, and your review is awesome!
Bookishkrish24
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishkrish24.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Bookishkrish24 »

Books like this are significant. A book that is relatable and important for all people. Thanks for your wonderful review.
Mariana Figueira
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Cloud Atlas
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana-figueira.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Mariana Figueira »

Sounds incredible, I really enjoy knowing the purpose behind children's books. Thanks for the amazing review.
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sounds like a great book. I have my own fears. We all do. It's how you handle them that counts. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

A short and easy read about one's fears and harnessing their inner strength is important for children. It sounds like an educational and interesting read. Thanks for the lovely review!
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

Great book for children and adults.
I have a fear of heights, I wonder how I can face this :D

Great review!
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
Michael Jerry_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michaeljerry309.html
Latest Review: A Big Blue Boat by Susea Spray

Post by Michael Jerry_ »

Kelyn wrote: 16 Mar 2021, 23:49 I love the idea of an older neighbor becoming a mentor to a child having difficulties that no one else seems to see. The underlying lessons of courage and the ability to deal with anxiety are ones every child needs. I'll be thinking about this one when my grandson gets a bit older. Thanks for the recommendation!
This is very true
Every child does need to learn the lessons of being courageous and also learn how to deal with anxiety as this will benefit them immensely
Michael Jerry_
Currently Reading:

Post by Michael Jerry_ »

zainherb wrote: 18 Mar 2021, 05:49 Great book for children and adults.
I have a fear of heights, I wonder how I can face this :D

Great review!
Best way to face such a fear is to climb a ladder once everyday
With time it’ll become so normal you wouldn’t feel the fear
Michael Jerry_
Currently Reading:

Post by Michael Jerry_ »

kandscreeley wrote: 17 Mar 2021, 18:24 Sounds like a great book. I have my own fears. We all do. It's how you handle them that counts. Thanks.
The best way to handle them is to just put your self in those situations once a day till the fear vanishes
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

I hope Sander overcame his fear. That would encourage the young readers to also face their fears bravely. Thanks for the review!
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM

Return to “Children's Books”