Official Review: Will's Adventure to the Candy Mountain

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Official Review: Will's Adventure to the Candy Mountain

Post by Jsovermyer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Will's Adventure to the Candy Mountain" by Dr.Gerry Haller.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Will’s Adventure to the Candy Mountain by Dr. Gerry Haller is a delightful children’s story about a fantastic land called Candy Mountain. Will’s grandmother tells him about this magical place where only very good children can go, and he falls asleep thinking of her tale. Suddenly, he hears someone telling him to wake up. It is the train conductor, and she invites Will to board the train going to Candy Mountain. Is this happening, or is he dreaming?

Candy Mountain is a beautiful place where everything is made from candy, cake, or other treats. Friendly gingerbread men, women, and children inhabit the town nearby. The snow is ice cream; the lake is filled with root beer, and the river is chocolate syrup. Dr. Haller has a vivid imagination, and her descriptions made me crave the yummy sweets.

The full-page illustrations by Y M Cho are colorful and fun. Children will love looking at the pages. I enjoyed counting the numerous kinds of candies and saw all my favorites pictured there.

My favorite things were the lessons the story cleverly taught. When Will gets on the train, he immediately finds another boy, named Quinn, sitting alone. Will introduces himself, and the pair become new friends. The children are well-mannered and courteous, always saying please and thanking the gingerbread people for their help. The train conductor tells the children they must return to the train when it blows its whistle. Will and Quinn rush back from their adventures, not wanting to be late. Also, only good children are allowed to pass through Candy Mountain’s gate. Friendship, politeness, punctuality, and exemplary behavior are all valuable lessons for children to learn.

There was nothing I disliked or would change about the story. I detected one small punctuation error, but it didn’t detract from my reading enjoyment. I believe the book has been edited professionally. The age range listed is from 3 months to 12 years. I would recommend it to all children or any adult with kids in their life. Developing readers will enjoy reading it themselves, and younger children will love hearing the story read aloud and looking at the pictures. It would be ideal for bedtime.

It has no slang, profanity, violence, or frightening situations. I loved the entire book, and it would be an excellent addition to any child’s collection. Because of the fascinating tale, colorful illustrations, and moral lessons, I believe it deserves a perfect score. I am awarding Will’s Adventure to the Candy Mountain by Dr. Gerry Haller four out of four stars.

Will's Adventure to the Candy Mountain
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Deval Sodha
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 372
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deval-sodha.html
Latest Review: Speaks for Itself by Jeffrey Paul Bailey.

Post by Deval Sodha »

Wow! What an awesome fantasy to be merged into.
The book sounds to be great and you wrote a wonderful review.👏
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

It sounds adorably cute.
Precious Naiti
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-naiti.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Precious Naiti »

Candy is every child’s dream and i feel every child will take well to this book. It seems very colorful and bright and full of life and fun for kids. What an amazing review!

Return to “Children's Books”