Official Review: Mad Dogs by I.B. Gumnut

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Guda Lydia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guda-lydia.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Official Review: Mad Dogs by I.B. Gumnut

Post by Guda Lydia »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mad Dogs" by I.B. Gumnut.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Red and Blue are dogs who are the best of friends. They live together and work at a sheep station during the day. Even though they have identical appearances, Red is mischievous and adventurous, while Blue is the smart one. Each morning they wake up, shake and scratch, have biscuit and bread, and off they go to work. On this particular day, after completing the day’s work, they spotted a new shiny motorbike in a shed. Excitement got the better of them, and they immediately took it out for a ride. However, it is not long before Red and Blue realize borrowed items are only suited for the owner.

Mad Dogs by I.B. Gumnut is a fun and captivating children’s book. It has a colorful background and abstract pictures, which engage the senses. The pictures tell the story independently so that children as young as three years can still understand the book. The sentences are simple and fun with rhyming words and similes. For instance, the sentence ‘They hadn’t a clue, but they still stuck together like glue.’

The book has numerous lessons like the value of friendship through Red and Blue’s bond. It also teaches hard work and the right time to do things. In the book, the dogs first work for most of the day and then later take some downtime to play and relax. I think this lesson goes a long way in instilling the concept of discipline in children.

My favorite aspect of the read is the simplicity of the names the dog have. They not only give them identity but also teaches the specific colors and even their spellings. The dogs are also physically identical but with distinct personalities. There is nothing to dislike about the book; it includes various animals like sheep, kangaroo, emu, and a flock of galahs. These are all native to Australia, further reinforcing the story’s background.

The book’s editing is excellent; I did not find any grammatical or spelling errors. Mad Dogs is a fast read that has many elements and lessons attached to it. Its conclusion also makes it suitable as a bedtime story. It is fit for children between the ages of three and eight, and adults can also enjoy reading it to the young ones. I, therefore, award it a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to parents and teachers looking for a fun story that also highlights elements of Australia’s wildlife.

Mad Dogs
View: on Bookshelves
Deval Sodha
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 372
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deval-sodha.html
Latest Review: Speaks for Itself by Jeffrey Paul Bailey.

Post by Deval Sodha »

Wow!
This seems to be a great read for kids.
I will definitely buy this for my 6 years old.
Thank you for the wonderful review 😊
Guda Lydia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guda-lydia.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Guda Lydia »

Devalsodha wrote: 20 Mar 2021, 11:03 Wow!
This seems to be a great read for kids.
I will definitely buy this for my 6 years old.
Thank you for the wonderful review 😊
Thank you. It is a fun read full of great lessons for kids.
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

This Book seems funny ans interesting. The title alone is amusing. Thanks for a detailed review.
Precious Naiti
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-naiti.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Precious Naiti »

I feel discipline is one of the most important aspects to teach a child and this book seems to offer that. I also like that friendship is valued in this book and that is a lesson i would want my child to grasp in a fun way (like in this book). Thank you for a great review.

Return to “Children's Books”