Official Review: Elizabeth Goes to the Hospital

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Michele H
Favorite Book: Frozen Harvest
Currently Reading: A Siblings Revenge
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michele-h.html
Latest Review: House of Dads by June Gillam
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Elizabeth Goes to the Hospital

Post by Michele H »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Elizabeth Goes to the Hospital" by Darlene Unruh.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Elizabeth Goes to the Hospital, by Darlene Unruh, begins with Elizabeth, her brother, and her friends enjoying the outdoors on a snowy day. They are all having fun building snowmen, having snowball fights, and sledding. Suddenly, the unexpected occurs, and Elizabeth’s sled crashes.

Elizabeth ends up getting injured and has to take a trip to the hospital. Come along for the ride with Elizabeth and her family to find out about her injury, her experience in the hospital, and all the nice people who helped treat her injury.

This is a wonderful children’s book to help young audiences understand what to expect when going to the hospital for an injury. My favorite thing about the book is the illustrations. They are simple, perfectly sized for good visuals and the colors are beautiful. I also liked the font and layout of the text. Additionally, the book outlines multiple people from the hospital and how they helped Elizabeth. This is a quick and insightful read to help set expectations for children when a visit to the hospital is in need.

My least favorite part of the book was the ending. I felt it ended abruptly without any kind of closure. I even double-checked a few times to make sure I didn’t miss additional pages. I would have liked to see a more positive ending. I think the ending would be improved if the author discussed Elizabeth getting better and even sledding again. Another minor suggestion I have is that the cover could use some illustrations. The book is so beautifully done, but the cover is uninviting.

This book is error-free and professionally edited. Although the target audience is young children, it may be a bit heavy for children under five. My rating for Elizabeth Goes to the Hospital is 3 out of 4 stars, all things considered. I would definitely recommend this book for anyone who wants to set expectations for children who need to go to the hospital for any kind of visit.

Elizabeth Goes to the Hospital
View: on Bookshelves
Petruschka1
Currently Reading: India in Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-petruschka1.html
Latest Review: Watchwords (black and white) by Philip Neal Gatter

Post by Petruschka1 »

Naturally small children would be quite anxious about going to hospital. A book preparing them for this kind of experience is certainly helpful, especially when it is beautifully illustrated.
Precious Naiti
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-naiti.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Precious Naiti »

Having a child myself, i feel like i can benefit from this book and will also know what to expect and how to react if my little one ever gets into harm’s way.

Return to “Children's Books”