Official Review: Mr. Hinther's Cat by Barbara Hinther

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Official Review: Mr. Hinther's Cat by Barbara Hinther

Post by ciecheesemeister »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mr. Hinther's Cat" by Barbara Hinther.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mr. Hinther’s Cat is a children’s story by Barbara Hinther that tells the tale of the author’s late husband, a music teacher, adopting a tailless cat that he found. The cat showed up on the doorstep one rainy day, and although Mr. Hinther did not particularly want a cat, he let the cat come inside. The tailless cat teaches the lesson that what one is on the inside is more important than external appearances.

The rhyme is a complete story that the author expresses the intention of turning into a children’s book. At the end of her husband’s life, he was diagnosed with Lewy Body dementia and she became his full-time caregiver.

The story is charming and fun to read and I feel that the author should have it illustrated and published. The story teaches about loving and accepting someone as they are, and that is always an important lesson to reinforce.

I can’t determine if the story is professionally edited. There were no errors in the text, but the document is a manuscript rather than a completed book. It is a brief document, only a little over 500 words. More material would need to be added to make the book publication-ready, but I believe that the author is aware of this. I feel that she should also include her own story either as an introduction or at the end of the book.

I can find no fault with the story and there was nothing I disliked about it, but as it is not a completed book, I can’t give it a four-star rating. The story is certainly worthy of publication with the inclusion of illustrations. It is appropriate for children of all ages. In its current form as a long poem that could be turned into a children’s book, I give Mr. Hinther’s Cat three out of four stars.

Mr. Hinther's Cat
View: on Bookshelves

Return to “Children's Books”