Official Review: Molly's New Pony, Sir Wallace McGee

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Official Review: Molly's New Pony, Sir Wallace McGee

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Molly's New Pony, Sir Wallace McGee" by David Casentini.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

On her eleventh birthday, Molly is excited to get her own pony, whom she names Sir Wallace McGee. However, the other horses on the farm are unimpressed and say Wallace will never be as good as them. Molly believes in him though and encourages him to not give up and to reach for his dreams. As they work together and Wallace grows, Wallace decides on the best way to prove himself. What does he do? And does he succeed?

Overall, Molly’s New Pony, Sir Wallace McGee by David Casentini is a great book for children ages 5 to 10. It has a lot of wonderful lessons about working hard, doing your best, reaching for your dreams, and encouraging others. My favorite thing about the book was Molly and Wallace’s friendship. I liked seeing Molly working with Wallace to help him reach his goal and the way she motivates him and keeps him from giving into his doubts. I also liked that the encouragement Molly gives Wallace is the same encouragement her parents once gave to her. It shows children that everyone needs some encouragement sometimes, and you can then help to motivate others. This is especially important for kids in school and if they are playing sports.

The illustrations were colorful and wonderfully drawn. I liked how expressive the horses’ faces were. I could tell how upset Wallace was in the beginning by what the other horses said, and later, his determination was easy to see.

The vocabulary works well for the 5 to 10 year old age range. Younger kids would need help with reading some of the words, but there are only a few that they might not know the meaning of, like thoroughbred, frail, and ashamed.

As I said before, this is a great children’s book, and I liked everything about it. There were also no editing mistakes, so I am happy to rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book and its lessons to all children, but those who like horses will particularly enjoy it.

Molly's New Pony, Sir Wallace McGee
View: on Bookshelves
Arun_Bohra_001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arun-bohra-001.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Arun_Bohra_001 »

I think there are some lessons that could be taken away from this book. I also liked the idea of friendship between Molly and Wallace. This is a great review.
Malve
Currently Reading: Onyx
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malve.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Malve »

I like the idea of working hard to reach your goals. The fact that this is associated with a horse should definitely be of interest to younger people.
Thanks for your review, great work!
Michael Jerry_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michaeljerry309.html
Latest Review: A Big Blue Boat by Susea Spray

Post by Michael Jerry_ »

I believe everyone loves a good book and I feel like this will be a good book therefore I think I’m falling in love
Nice review by the way
Michael Jerry_
Currently Reading:

Post by Michael Jerry_ »

Malve wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 06:51 I like the idea of working hard to reach your goals. The fact that this is associated with a horse should definitely be of interest to younger people.
Yes especially children who love ponies or horses or even animals in general
Marcel Cantu
Currently Reading: Under Another Sun
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcel-cantu.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Marcel Cantu »

This seems like a great book for kids! I really enjoyed your review, great work!
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

What a lovely review! It reminded me of my childhood, when I wanted to have a pony and raise it... in my balcony :). I would love to read it to my niece!
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Molly is a true friend. It also shows how she has learnt a lesson and can teach her pony the same. The lesson of motivation is the star of the book. Thank you for reviewing this book.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I love the theme of working hard for your dreams and helping others achieve theirs. Children can't be reminded of that enough. Great illustrations in the book are a plus, as well. I enjoyed reading your well-written review!
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Prisallen wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 08:03 I love the theme of working hard for your dreams and helping others achieve theirs. Children can't be reminded of that enough. Great illustrations in the book are a plus, as well. I enjoyed reading your well-written review!
Arun_Bohra_001 wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 21:17 I think there are some lessons that could be taken away from this book. I also liked the idea of friendship between Molly and Wallace. This is a great review.
Kavita Shah wrote: 15 Apr 2021, 13:27 Molly is a true friend. It also shows how she has learnt a lesson and can teach her pony the same. The lesson of motivation is the star of the book. Thank you for reviewing this book.
Thanks for reading and commenting!
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Malve wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 06:51 I like the idea of working hard to reach your goals. The fact that this is associated with a horse should definitely be of interest to younger people.
raluca_mihaila wrote: 15 Apr 2021, 05:18 What a lovely review! It reminded me of my childhood, when I wanted to have a pony and raise it... in my balcony :). I would love to read it to my niece!
Marcel Cantu wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 14:11 This seems like a great book for kids! I really enjoyed your review, great work!
Michaeljerry309 wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 09:17 I believe everyone loves a good book and I feel like this will be a good book therefore I think I’m falling in love
Nice review by the way
TheMazeRunner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themazerunner.html
Latest Review: Lady of the Play by Deena Lindstedt

Post by TheMazeRunner »

This book is meant for everyone, not just children. Great review!
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

Wow! I love the important lessons that kids will learn from this book. Thanks for an insightful review.
Michael Jerry_
Currently Reading:

Post by Michael Jerry_ »

Mbrooks2518 wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 14:56
raluca_mihaila wrote: 15 Apr 2021, 05:18 What a lovely review! It reminded me of my childhood, when I wanted to have a pony and raise it... in my balcony :). I would love to read it to my niece!
Marcel Cantu wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 14:11 This seems like a great book for kids! I really enjoyed your review, great work!
Michaeljerry309 wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 09:17 I believe everyone loves a good book and I feel like this will be a good book therefore I think I’m falling in love
Nice review by the way
You are very welcome
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

TheMazeRunner wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 13:01 This book is meant for everyone, not just children. Great review!
Chigo Nwagboso wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 03:07 Wow! I love the important lessons that kids will learn from this book. Thanks for an insightful review.

Return to “Children's Books”