Official Review: The New Enchantress (Alyssa McCarthy's M...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Praise GodWord
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-godword.html
Latest Review: Retirement Planning by William C. Evergreen

Official Review: The New Enchantress (Alyssa McCarthy's M...

Post by Praise GodWord »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The New Enchantress (Alyssa McCarthy's Magical Missions Book 3)" by Sunayna Prasad.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Alyssa McCarthy’s Magical Missions: Book 3 - The New Enchantress was written by Sunayna Prasad. This book is for children, and it features a 14-year-old girl, Alyssa, struggling with a low grade in Mathematics, extra credit activities, problems with her best friends, and living with her godfather.

While working on her extra credit project, her laptop containing a video project was stolen. Suddenly, she noticed she had magical powers, and she could not control them. Those powers she noticed could harm those around her. Alyssa’s future is at risk now and also the future of her loved ones. How will she handle this experience?

What I liked most about this book was that I was able to enjoy it as a standalone novel, although it is the third book in the series. However, by reading this installment, readers will have a glimpse of the previous installments. For instance, Simon’s comment about Alyssa’s recent powers and her past demonstrations revealed some previous books' glimpses. This installment had its peculiarities, which proved to be interesting.

The positive thing I found in this book was the merging of magic and modern-day innovations. This was demonstrated in Boo-Champ Corey’s plan to use a laptop for magical purposes. The irony was hilarious, but it added to the peculiarity of the book.

We go through struggles in our lives, and these struggles can often be overwhelming. This was why I was able to relate to Alyssa’s struggle to control the forces around her. I feel the author did an excellent job of capturing the everyday human experiences in this book.

The negative thing I met while I was reading this book was that the pages were not correctly numbered. While some pages were numbered, others were not. I was unable to trace my progress while I read the book.

Some words or terms could have been used in more simplified ways—for example, the word "inhalations" used by the author on pages 11 and 15. A more simplified word would have been "breathing" because this is a children's book.

I encountered a few errors in the book, but the book appears to be professionally edited. Due to my discussion above, I would rate this novel three out of four stars. I recommend this book to children who enjoy stories on magic.

The New Enchantress (Alyssa McCarthy's Magical Missions Book 3)
View: on Bookshelves
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

It sucks when books aren't correctly numbered. I agree that children's books should contain simple language, but since the main character is 14 years old, perhaps it won't be too difficult for older kids and teens to understand the story.

Return to “Children's Books”