Official Review: Favorite Visit to Papa’s Farm

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Official Review: Favorite Visit to Papa’s Farm

Post by Kristy Khem »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Favorite Visit to Papa’s Farm" by Sally Johnson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I’m inviting you to come to Papa’s farm with Mackenzie and Casey. You can see the baby animals during spring, go fishing in summer, celebrate Halloween during fall, and even try out exciting winter sports when the weather becomes snowy.

Favorite Visit to Papa’s Farm by Sally Johnson is an illustrated storybook that features five, short chapters. The story takes place over a period of one year. Each chapter describes Mackenzie and Casey’s visits to their grandparents’ farm in the spring, summer, fall, and winter. The sisters reunite with their two cousins on most of their visits. This cheerful foursome always has fun together when they participate in a range of seasonal activities. However, when springtime rolls around for a second time at the farm, the children’s grandparents reveal shocking news that will change their lives.

This story was a joy to read and review. Nothing about this book was odious or inappropriate. Favorite Visit to Papa’s Farm truly deserved 4 out of 4 stars because it was intriguing and educational. It can also encourage readers to develop a healthy interest in nature. It’s a well-edited book too. Moreover, the language used is very easy to understand. The illustrations make reading easy on the eyes because they disrupt the monotony of the words. I will gladly recommend this book to children aged seven and over. This book will appeal to those who like reading about outdoor adventures, animals, and family life.

The story is based on the four seasons. I did not grow up in a country where summer, spring, fall, and winter were present, so some of the activities that the children participated in were quite new to me. The prospect of catching fireflies intrigued me. The process of preserving autumn leaves between sheets of wax paper was equally fascinating to me. I loved gazing at the colorful illustrations in the book because they perfectly matched the story.

The educational aspect of the book was its best feature. Certain words and phrases were typed in bold. This was intentionally done to introduce young readers to new vocabulary. Through the characters’ experiences, readers can also learn a few practical things, such as making a scarecrow, husking corn, and carving pumpkins. Apart from these, the story’s surprising conclusion teaches readers that the seasons can bring many changes, but human lives change too. That’s why it’s important that we take every opportunity to enjoy life.

Favorite Visit to Papa’s Farm may rouse a passionate appreciation for nature. This is another positive feature of this book. I wish that more children can love and care for the natural world around them. The children in this story see the value of vegetable gardening and understand how this is directly related to their meals. Papa is very caring to the animals on the farm too. Mackenzie also realizes how fishing can hurt the fishes in the river. Young readers will surely appreciate plants and animals after reading this book.

What are you waiting for? I can guarantee that the children in your life won’t regret reading this adorable story, so don’t hesitate to get this amazing book for them.

Favorite Visit to Papa’s Farm
View: on Bookshelves
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kennedy NC »

This story seems to have a peaceful setting and a visit to a farm affords a chance for young children to learn a lot. Great review.
Arun_Bohra_001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arun-bohra-001.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Arun_Bohra_001 »

I am sure that I will find something new in the book. The setting of the story around the seasons seems interesting. Thanks for the review.
GoodLuck ES
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodluck-es.html
Latest Review: Always Before Me by John Servant

Post by GoodLuck ES »

I love when the gifts of nature are appreciated and nurtured. There's something to learn from the foursome. Tending to nature should be everyone's duty and it could be fun if we begin to see it as such.

Great review.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

It seems a lovely book that will teach children about animals and compassion. I love that the author showed the changes in people in sync with the nature. Congratulations for this delightful review!
Holly Fleming
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holly-fleming.html
Latest Review: Beyond by Ruth Mitchell

Post by Holly Fleming »

The title, Favorite Visit to Papa's Farm, was immediately nostalgic for me. I look forward to reading about their experiences on the farm in four different seasons. I'll definitely have to share this with my family as well!
Beauty Kalu22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-segunjohn.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Beauty Kalu22 »

Wonderful and well detailed review. This book will be very useful to children. I think I'll get this for my younger ones.
Azubike Richard
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azubike-richard.html
Latest Review: Love and Resistance by Marie J. Mond

Post by Azubike Richard »

This book teaches children alot about human companionship with animals and I will be getting one for my younger one.
Kings1999
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kings1999.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Kings1999 »

Excellent Children's story, and very beneficial to young ones. I admire the effort the author put into the creation of this. I love the review BTW, it was magnificent.
Stevenmusk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevenmusk.html
Latest Review: Under the Blue Moon by Joan Schweighardt

Post by Stevenmusk »

It's educational and illustrative making it creative and simplified easy to understand. Thanks for the review
Ndagire Hassifah1
Favorite Book: Hemingway’s daughter
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndagire-hassifah1.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Post by Ndagire Hassifah1 »

It seems like a delightful read. This book would be great and useful to children as it is educational and illustrative. Great review.
Oluwasogo Familusi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwasogo-familusi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Oluwasogo Familusi »

It was the book cover that drew my attention to this book. After reading the book, the book seems to be educational and touches on the topic of interest for kids too. Thanks for the review.
Aleena Augustine
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aleena-augustine.html
Latest Review: The Face of Fear by R. J. Torbert

Post by Aleena Augustine »

The lively description of seasonal adventures at Papa's farm seems like an enchanting journey for young readers. The blend of educational elements and the celebration of nature, coupled with vibrant illustrations, makes it sound like an engaging and delightful read. Thanks for sharing your insights!
Joshua Sawders
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Joshua Sawders »

This review of "Favorite Visit to Papa's Farm" by Sally Johnson highlights its intriguing and educational nature, making it a good read for children aged seven and over. The book's focus on the four seasons and outdoor adventures, along with its emphasis on nature and family, adds to its appeal. The educational aspects, such as introducing new vocabulary and practical activities, make it even more engaging. Overall, this charming story will not disappoint young readers. Get this amazing book for the children in your life! Compelling drama, unfolded with intensity and depth.

Return to “Children's Books”