Official Review: Storytime Rhymes Vol. 2 by Mike Gauss

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Storytime Rhymes Vol. 2 by Mike Gauss

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Storytime Rhymes Vol. 2" by Mike Gauss.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Storytime Rhymes Vol. 2, written by Mike Gauss and illustrated by Aiwaz Jilani, is a children’s book made up of four illustrated poems: “Dover the Dove,” an informative poem about mourning doves; “Marty Monkey,” a fun rhyme about a silly primate; “Paully Panda,” an enlightening verse about the nuances of pandas; and “Purr’cy Cat,” a lyrical tale about a lovable feline friend. Each of the four poems is told over a number of pages, and the entire book is filled with brightly colored illustrations.

The best aspect of this collection of rhymes is the factual information included in each story. For example, children will learn that pandas are a sacred symbol in Chinese culture, the types of food monkeys eat, and interesting facts about mourning doves. It is impressive that a book with so few words conveys so much information. Without even realizing it, children will be exposed to information about animals.

Storytime Rhymes Vol. 2 uses simple language that is suitable for a very young audience. Children under five will most likely enjoy this book the most. Moreover, each page only includes a few words, making the illustrations, not the narrative, the focus of the book. Despite the minimal words used in this book, the rhyme scheme is strong, making for an enjoyable book to read out loud.

At the focus of each of the four stories are the full-page illustrations. The pictures are bright and engaging, and each page includes a lot of details for young children to analyze. The illustrations are cartoonish, which is appropriate for the target audience. However, there were some images that seemed awkward. For example, the monkey in “Marty Monkey” has facial features that look too human. Despite a few awkward images, the majority of the illustrations are cute and fun to examine.

Although there is a lot to enjoy about Storytime Rhymes Vol. 2, there were some minor editorial issues. One page in the middle of the book is blank, which doesn’t seem intentional. Further, I noticed a distracting grammatical error. In a book with so few words, the editing should be perfect. These issues, along with some awkward images, lead me to rate Storytime Rhymes Vol. 2 3 out of 4 stars. This book is recommended for caretakers to read to children five and under. All types of children will enjoy the informative rhymes, lyrical tempo, and bright illustrations found in this book.

Storytime Rhymes Vol. 2
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
Jagiine
Currently Reading: Children of Virtue and Vengeance
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jagiine.html
Latest Review: A Collection of Poetry by Cheree Scott

Post by Jagiine »

Thanks for this review! It seems like this is a great book; I'm considering putting it on my list of gifts to consider whenever I need to buy something for a child. If I do give it to anyone, I'll be sure they aren't easily frightened by the uncanny valley.
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wadonnelly.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by WADonnelly »

This seems like a lovely read for children and sounds fun to read out loud with the rhymes. Wonderful review!
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

Such a cute idea for the kids to work on reading while also learning little facts. Thanks for the great review!
Elaine LaBonte
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Life Lessons of Wayne
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elaine-labonte.html
Latest Review: President's Day by Stephen A. Werbel, Ph.D.

Post by Elaine LaBonte »

You've inspired me to buy this excellent book for my niece. The rating seems harsh to me. The author and the artist did their parts, the printer and editor each made one mistake. I'm new to reviewing books and don't yet know what’s important. Also, maybe children's books should have different guidelines. The ratings are crucial to sales. Now, thinking about it, I want to buy the revised book without errors . Thank you for the honest and helpful review.
"Soon I'll find the right words, they'll be very simple ..."
Some of the Dharma, by Jack Kerouac
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

This seems like an enjoyable read-with-your-child book, and there is something to learn as well. Thanks for the review!
Wildflowertheorist
Currently Reading: Rise of the Savior
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wildflowertheorist.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Wildflowertheorist »

Good illustrations and fewer words- is probably all that children look for.
I liked reading your review!
"When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

-Friedrich Nietzsche

Return to “Children's Books”