Official Review: evangeline evershine and the case of the...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brendan Donaghy
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Official Review: evangeline evershine and the case of the...

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "evangeline evershine and the case of the biggest disappearance imaginable" by al shapiro.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Al Shapiro was inspired by his grandchildren to write a book for kids. He wanted it to be educational and entertaining and to stimulate children’s interest in learning. The result is Evangeline Evershine and the Case of the Biggest Disappearance Imaginable.

Evangeline is a young girl with a huge question on her mind. Where does the sun go every night? It shines brightly every day, disappears when it gets dark, then returns the next day. So where does it hide? Evangeline is determined to find out. Fortunately for her, her father is an astronaut. The pair blast off in his spaceship and head for the sun to discover its hiding place. Spoiler alert – the sun doesn’t go anywhere!! Evangeline discovers that it is Earth’s rotation that results in half of the planet turning away from the sun’s light each day, pitching that part of our world into darkness.

This is a delightful book, designed both to captivate and educate. The artwork, by Hannah Gregory, is superb. All the pictures are bright, colorful, and drawn to an extremely high standard. They will no doubt fire a child’s imagination. The text is a nice blend of an imaginative storyline – young girl blasts off in a rocket to explore the stars – and educational facts about our planet, the solar system, and space travel. Some kids will simply enjoy the story and the pictures. Others will absorb the information the book provides and want to know more. The style of writing and the vocabulary used by the author are appropriate for the readership the book is aimed at.

There is little to dislike about this short little story. I think the author has left himself room to develop Evangeline’s character in future books. We learn that she is determined and has an inquisitive nature. We’re also told that she is “no ordinary girl” (page 6) and that “she could do things you and I can’t” (page 10), so but there is plenty of scope for these qualities to be fleshed out in any future stories.

I am giving this book 4 out of 4 stars. It has been well edited, and I found only one minor grammatical error. I recommend it to parents and guardians of young children in the middle stages of elementary school. Teachers may want to use this book as a teaching aid.

evangeline evershine and the case of the biggest disappearance imaginable
View: on Bookshelves
MarcellaM
Currently Reading: Grey heart
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-a.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by MarcellaM »

Where the sun disappears to is indeed a mystery.....to children. It is an interesting and educative story that would not only entertain the young readers but also prepare them for a great future.
Kanchan Sharma
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanchan-sharma.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Kanchan Sharma »

The review is interesting and intriguing. I am eager to read the book.
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

This sounds like an excellent children's book! Glad there was nothing to dislike about the book. I would recommend trying to get the cover uploaded to the book to further draw attention to your review. Thanks for a great review!
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

What a cute way for children to understand about not just the earths rotation but also adventures and where curiosity can lead us. Thanks for the great review!

Return to “Children's Books”