Official Review: Wash Your Hands With Me!

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Official Review: Wash Your Hands With Me!

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Wash Your Hands With Me!" by Sherica Starling Cheek.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As soon as I saw Wash Your Hands With Me! by Sherica Starling Cheek, I immediately wanted to pick it to review. My mom and I babysit my six-year-old nephew a lot, and we’ve been trying to get him to be better about thoroughly washing his hands. I thought this book might help with that, and I think it will.

This book shows readers the different events throughout the day that they should wash their hands before and after, like playing, eating lunch, and going to the bathroom, which is an important topic because of germs in general and COVID-19. It also gives instructions for washing your hands, like squirting soap on your hands, scrubbing your hands, and then rinsing them. The story’s simplicity makes it best for children ages two to six.

One way that it could have been better would have been if it mentioned more about why it’s important to wash your hands instead of only focusing on when you should. But since this book is also meant for toddlers, I can understand why they didn’t include anything like that, and it would still be a good conversation starter for older children.

The writing style was my favorite thing about this book. It has a nice rhythm, and I was able to give the words a tune as I was reading it. I could easily imagine my nephew singing the words while washing his hands. This adds an element of fun, and children are more likely to remember it later.

The illustrations are also nicely done. They’re very colorful and match the text. The characters also have different skin and hair colors, which was a nice touch.

The vocabulary is appropriate for the recommended age range. Older children will be able to read most of it on their own, and younger children will know the meaning of all of the words. The only thing that might confuse some children is one phrase that says, “Wash your hands after filling the trunk,” meaning after you eat. I was pleased to not find any editing mistakes, so the book was professionally edited.

Overall, there was nothing I disliked about this book, so I’m giving it 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to parents and teachers who want to help their children and students learn to wash their hands better and more often.

Wash Your Hands With Me!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

Sounds like an interesting and beneficial book for children. Hygeine is something to inculcate from a very young age.
Many adults could do with it too, to be honest.

Great review! Well-done.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
Sarah Apio
Currently Reading: Playful Princess Panda
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Sarah Apio »

Great review! It's an interesting book and first of it's kind I have seen teaching children good habits of Washing hands most especially in this covid-19 times.
Kanchan Sharma
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanchan-sharma.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Kanchan Sharma »

The review is interesting and intriguing. I am eager to read the book.
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

In such a delicate time in the world, a book that teaches thorough washing of hands is very vital to humanity. I'd love to check.this out. Great review.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

It is nice that the author has adapted the basic messages to the youngest readership. Such important life lessons need to be adopted at the earliest age.
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

Beautiful Review. And the title of the book too is very relevant because I see the hand as the dirtiest part of the body which should be washed regularly.
Peace Odii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-odii.html
Latest Review: Justin's Quest by Winsome Board

Post by Peace Odii »

The title of the review got my attention surely. Great capture by the author.
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

The fight against microscopic microbial offenders should start at a young age, and it sounds like this little reference manual helps reinforce timely triggers for necessary hand-washing routines. I’m glad to hear of the strong editing and engagement quality! Thank you for your review. 🧼
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

This a great way to teach when to wash hands. A nice rhythm will be fun to learn. Thanks for a lovely review!
Zainab sohangpur
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Zainab sohangpur »

It sounds very interesting.. important lesson to b taught to our children grt work by the author
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

What a timely book with a catchy title. Kids will enjoy this one and hopefully get to learn why we need to wash our hands so much of late.Thanks for the review.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

It's definitely an interesting and helpful book for the kids with its message. I also like that the illustrations are colorful and match the text. Thanks for putting up a lovely review!
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Sarah Apio wrote: 23 May 2021, 03:53 Great review! It's an interesting book and first of it's kind I have seen teaching children good habits of Washing hands most especially in this covid-19 times.
zainherb wrote: 23 May 2021, 02:03 Sounds like an interesting and beneficial book for children. Hygeine is something to inculcate from a very young age.
Many adults could do with it too, to be honest.

Great review! Well-done.
Kanchan Sharma wrote: 23 May 2021, 04:40 The review is interesting and intriguing. I am eager to read the book.
El_limitless wrote: 23 May 2021, 06:04 In such a delicate time in the world, a book that teaches thorough washing of hands is very vital to humanity. I'd love to check.this out. Great review.
Thanks for reading and commenting!
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

markodim721 wrote: 23 May 2021, 06:04 It is nice that the author has adapted the basic messages to the youngest readership. Such important life lessons need to be adopted at the earliest age.
I agree. Thanks for reading and commenting!
Chigo Nwagboso wrote: 23 May 2021, 06:25 Beautiful Review. And the title of the book too is very relevant because I see the hand as the dirtiest part of the body which should be washed regularly.
Yes, they should be. Thanks for reading and commenting!

Return to “Children's Books”