Official Review: C.B. Detective AGency by S.A. Barber

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Joyful17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k17.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Talking (war) Dog by Daniel Tierney

Official Review: C.B. Detective AGency by S.A. Barber

Post by Joyful17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "C.B. Detective AGency" by S.A. Barber.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Werewolves are a common feature of dramas and stories. What if you suspected that a werewolf is living on your street? C.B. Detective Agency by S. A. Barber is a children's book centered on this interesting theme.

Charlie and Beau are close friends who have detective minds. They took up the task of resolving the case of missing newspapers. After a while, Jimmy, the delivery boy, sighted the fearsome creature lurking about the neighborhood. Against warnings from Deputy Carlson, Charlie and Beau snuck into the abandoned building where the fearsome creature lived and tried to capture it.

Barber has done a great job of developing this detective story. The characters are consistent and well developed. Charlie is an interesting character who speaks impulsively. This personality is consistent throughout the story. For instance, while speaking with the Deputy, he impulsively said, "Gushy, green gopher guts." This story is quite suspenseful as well. I couldn't predict the outcome of the story, and I really feared for the safety of Charlie and Beau as they went in search of the dangerous creature at night.

There are morals for children in this story. Beau and Charlie faced repercussions for their disobedience, therefore, children can learn from their mistakes. On the other hand, children can also learn to be inquisitive and adventurous as the two friends were. The narrative is also simple and easy to understand.

My most favorite feature of this book is the natural flow of the narrative. The conversations between Charlie and Beau are believable for children in their age group. Although the illustrations in the book are realistic, they are few. This is my only dislike about the book.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It was awesomely edited. I find the story very interesting and suspenseful. Children aged 6 to 13 years would find this story engaging.

C.B. Detective AGency
View: on Bookshelves
robinwanttoread
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by robinwanttoread »

It was awesomely edited. I find the story very interesting and suspenseful. Children aged 6 to 13 years would find this story engaging. i loved it :) :)
Pallavi Lakra
Currently Reading: Apotheosis Now
Bookshelf Size: 44

Post by Pallavi Lakra »

This takes me back to my childhood days when we would go around our city on our bikes exploring houses which were abandoned. I'm sure people will resonate with this book. Thanks for this wonderful review.
Mercy119
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fireside119.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Mercy119 »

Judging by the cover, this doesn't look like a children's book but the interesting storyline propped up by the author's imagination will leave the young readers yearning for more.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

Thank you for sharing such a great review!
Sakura5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sakura5.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sakura5 »

It is good when a children's book is unpredictable, it means its young readers will really be engaged by it! Nice review!
Jagiine
Currently Reading: Children of Virtue and Vengeance
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jagiine.html
Latest Review: A Collection of Poetry by Cheree Scott

Post by Jagiine »

I loved kid detective stories as a kid, and it looks like this one is well-written. Thanks for your review!
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Abandoned buildings, missing newspapers, and werewolves?! ๐Ÿš
What a thrilling tale of mystery and monsters. Sounds like a good one! ๐Ÿ—ž๐Ÿบ Thanks for your howling-good review.
Joyful17
Currently Reading:

Post by Joyful17 »

Pallavi Lakra wrote: โ†‘28 May 2021, 03:56 This takes me back to my childhood days when we would go around our city on our bikes exploring houses which were abandoned. I'm sure people will resonate with this book. Thanks for this wonderful review.
Fireside119 wrote: โ†‘28 May 2021, 06:42 Judging by the cover, this doesn't look like a children's book but the interesting storyline propped up by the author's imagination will leave the young readers yearning for more.
robinwanttoread wrote: โ†‘28 May 2021, 03:26 It was awesomely edited. I find the story very interesting and suspenseful. Children aged 6 to 13 years would find this story engaging. i loved it :) :)
Yes we all had our pranks in our younger years, and it's true that children will find the storyline interesting. Thanks for your response.
Joyful17
Currently Reading:

Post by Joyful17 »

AvidBibliophile wrote: โ†‘28 May 2021, 17:26 Abandoned buildings, missing newspapers, and werewolves?! ๐Ÿš
What a thrilling tale of mystery and monsters. Sounds like a good one! ๐Ÿ—ž๐Ÿบ Thanks for your howling-good review.
Jagiine wrote: โ†‘28 May 2021, 15:31 I loved kid detective stories as a kid, and it looks like this one is well-written. Thanks for your review!
Sakura5 wrote: โ†‘28 May 2021, 08:21 It is good when a children's book is unpredictable, it means its young readers will really be engaged by it! Nice review!
Mtibza eM wrote: โ†‘28 May 2021, 07:24 Thank you for sharing such a great review!
Indeed the setting is unique and unpredictable. Thanks for sharing your views.
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Thereโ€™s nothing like a good werewolf mystery every now and then! This sounds like a great read for young detectives. Thank you for your take on this one!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

A fun children's story complete with morals? Sounds captivating! Is it really a werewolf, I wonder? Guess I'll have to read to find out.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
โ€”Neil Gaiman
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

I would never have known from the title and the cover that this story would have werewolves in it. When I started reading your review I paused and looked at the title and cover again to make sure I had the right book! I loved mystery books as a kid, and still do. It sounds like this is a great children's book.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Saint Bruno
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

It's nice to learn that the author's execution of the book is spot on. I am sure children will find the plot very intriguing. Thanks for the amazing review.
Huini Hellen
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Huini Hellen »

It is indeed true that children are going to gain much from reading this book. Thank you for the review.
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius

Return to โ€œChildren's Booksโ€