Official Review: Jenny's Heroes by Barry Litherland

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Official Review: Jenny's Heroes by Barry Litherland

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Jenny's Heroes" by Barry Litherland.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Many children experience bullying at school. Bullying is a severe problem and is more prevalent today than ever. Unfortunately, most children who are victims of bullying do not want to say anything about bullying for fear that the situation will only get worse. Jenny's Heroes by Barry Litherland is a children's book that addresses this problem in an interesting and unique way.

The story follows a boy named Henry who often goes to school with anxiety. Shane and Ralphy are the main reason for his anxiety because they bully him and his friends every day at school. However, one day a mysterious girl named Jenny appears on the lawn under Henry's window. She tells Henry that he is the character in her story and that he must listen to whatever she tells him because he will eventually become a hero. With Jenny's intervention, bullying at school begins to diminish. The reader further learns whether Henry will really become a hero and whether bullying at school will be solved.

What I like most about the book is the way the author addresses bullying. Throughout the story, it is possible to conclude that this problem is very serious and that not everything is as it seems. Often, bullies themselves are victims of domestic violence, or they fight various fears in the wrong ways. Also, I like that the story contains humorous elements, especially in the dialogue between the characters.

There is nothing in the book that I do not like. The story is fun and original. In addition, it sends essential lessons for children as well as adults. Also, I would say it was professionally edited because I came across only one error.

All things considered, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I have no reason to give it a lower rating. I don’t think there are enough children’s books that deal with serious topics like this book. Therefore, I would recommend it primarily to elementary school teachers. This book could be a good choice for class discussion. I also think it would be good for parents to read this book along with their children because I believe this story could prevent potential bullying.

Jenny's Heroes
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

Bullying is sad and makes me so angry. I enjoyed this review- it was well written and gave me the feeling that Shane and Ralphy were insecure and most likely bullied themselves. I hope there are more people in the world like Jenny. The payoff is refreshing when you are kind and caring.
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

I'd love to know to what extent Jenny's intervention can end bullying in the school. I'm definitely giving this book a read. Great review.
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

It sounds like this little story about heroic Henry contains many valuable lessons and relatable moments. Bullying has become more prevalent than ever, so storylines like this will definitely help kids feel less alone! Thank you for your review!
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

This does sound like an excellent teaching tool for an elementary school teacher. It is sad how prevalent bullying has become, and that it has made its way into elementary schools! Thank you for an excellent review!
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

I read some books about bullying before, and most of them were heartbreaking to read.
It's true that most bullies are also victims, so they lash out at people who they find vulnerable.
Sadly, adults also experience the same thing but no one wants to talk about it.
The humorous touch in the book helps lighten up the overall mood of the story.
Thanks for your review.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Floramay Espino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Floramay Espino »

I've been bullied before during my elementary years. It depend on us how to overcome those bullies. But we cant blame others if they bullies someone.Most bully are those lack of attention.
Great review thanks....
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

Bullying can be a real problem. It's good to have books to help address the issue.
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

To address such a severe topic of bullying in a children's book is so thoughtful of the author. Thanks for the lovely review.
Tars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 350

Post by Tars »

Sounds mighty helpful and interesting, especially considering what a global issue bullying turns out to be nowadays. Gifting such useful tool to fight it is very decent of you, I applaud the author for his efforts and congratulate on most deserved tittle BOTD!
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Sadly bullying is so common and exists everywhere. It is good to have children's books that address these huge issues. I hope Jenny saved Henry. Great job with the review.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your review. It's true that bullies are usually the products of unhappy families or unhealthy environments.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

A mixt of real-world lessons and fantasy. It seems like a compelling story. Thank you for the review!
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

I agree that this is a great book to be read by parents or teachers to their children or stiudents. Thanks for your review.
Asfiya Z
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asfiya-z.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Asfiya Z »

It's sad and makes me so angry when people bully. This review made me feel that Shane and Ralphy were insecure and probably bullied themselves. We need more Jennys in the world. Kindness and nurturing can really pay off. I'm definitely giving this book a read. Great review.

Return to “Children's Books”