Official Review: I Am by Vida Pascual

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: I Am by Vida Pascual

Post by Melisa Jane »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I Am" by Vida Pascual.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Children are the greatest source of joy to most parents. It is for this reason that these parents strive to ensure that the children are brought up to be strong, confident, and successful members of society. To ensure this, parents must build the confidence of their young ones at an early age. This will increase their productivity and make sure they master some virtues early enough. I Am by Vida Pascual is a nonfiction children's book that aims to instill confidence in female children and ensure they're productive in society.

This book has 22 pages. However, each page has an average of only one sentence. Most sentences have an identical structure throughout the book. They take the following structure, "I am ____." Where "___" is filled with an adjective. For instance, the first sentence reads,
I am beautiful.
However, some sentences are longer hence don't conform to the aforementioned structure. For example, the sentence on page 14 reads,
I am shaping my future with every action I take.
From the above quotes, you'll notice that the book is written from the first person's point of view, and in the present simple tense. The sentences are also accompanied by beautifully painted images on each page.

This is a delightful book. I liked several things about it. For instance, the paintings on each page will be visually appealing to children. This will ensure that they read and understand every message on each page. I also like that the author kept the structure of the sentences very simple. Even children who are only learning to read will be able to decode the messages. Since I didn't come across any grammatical errors while reading, this book was exceptionally edited.

Although this is a brilliant book, it has some flaws. To begin with, the author failed to indicate the page numbers. Since children are the target audience, the absence of page numbers is likely to confuse them, especially considering that most of the sentences have the same structure. Although the structure makes the sentences memorable, it also risks boring the children. The book contains at least twenty nearly identical sentences. Most children will find it hard to read through and remember all these sentences.

Although it has a few flaws, most children, through the guidance of their parents or guardians, are likely to benefit from this book. I, therefore, rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to female children between the age of 4 and 13 years. Since most of the drawings and writings aren't gender-neutral, male children might not identify with this book.

I Am
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes

Return to “Children's Books”