Review of Colors of Japan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Review of Colors of Japan

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Colors of Japan" by Arianna Gopez.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Many children show all kinds of interests from an early age, and it would be good to teach them about different things through fun activities. For example, an original and colorful picture book can be an exciting and fun way to learn almost anything. Colors of Japan by Arianna Gopez is a children's book that provides interesting facts about Japan in an entertaining and interactive way. By reading this book, children can easily learn some fascinating facts about another country and culture.

The book is written in the first person from Arianna's perspective. Her mother lived in Japan for a year, and Arianna has learned a lot of interesting information about Japan from her. Throughout the book, Arianna gives the reader various intriguing facts about Japan and Japanese culture. Some of the information relates to Japanese television, food, martial arts, traditional clothes, and the Japanese writing system. The whole book is illustrated, and the sentences are short, clear, and precise, making it ideal for younger children.

What I like most about this book is the fact that children can learn many interesting things about Japan in a charming and entertaining way. Even I, as an adult, have learned some interesting information that I did not know before. Also, I like that some of the original Japanese words in the text are also written in Japanese script. In addition, the illustrations are very vibrant and colorful.

The biggest complaint I have is the length of the book. I wish it was longer, and I think the author could have added more information and unusual facts about Japanese culture and history. Also, I would say that the illustrations lack originality. They could have been much more engaging had they been hand-drawn with watercolors, tempera, or crayons. Moreover, the book has some grammatical errors, but they did not affect my reading enjoyment.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The rating would have been higher if the book had been a little more original in terms of illustrations and more extensive in terms of content. I would recommend Colors of Japan primarily to lower elementary school children interested in learning about new cultures and countries.

Colors of Japan
View: on Bookshelves
Urvashi Tripathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-urvashi-tripathi.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Urvashi Tripathi »

I love Japanese culture as I love watching anime and some classic Japanese movies and “Memoirs of a Geisha” is one of my favorite book. I think, I know some facts about Japan but I'll find out more through the novel. Thank you for your amazing written review.
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

I love books like these that are designed to teach children about other cultures. I think we need more of them. Maybe then people would be more accepting of others outside their culture. Thank you for an informative review.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

That's a really good way to teach about Japanese culture. It will be a fun activity with little facts and places about Japanese culture. Thank you for a wonderful review!
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

Parents should learn to encourage the many parts their children exhibit at a young age and expose them to contents that'll help them discover more of themselves. That's how they grow. Great review.
B Sheila Holt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: One Christmas Eve
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b-sheila-holt.html
Latest Review: Open Heart by Akil Taher

Post by B Sheila Holt »

Really great review! Your detailed review is very informative and interesting. I would love to read this whole book. Thank you for a great job!
Emily_Jen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-jen.html
Latest Review: Social Media Marketing Strategy by S. M. H. Gibson

Post by Emily_Jen »

This is a children's book that provides interesting facts about Japan in an entertaining and interactive way. I think more books can educate children on other countries in a similar way. The illustrations would also make the book more appealing to children. Nice review.
Crimson Crucifix
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crimson-crucifix.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Crimson Crucifix »

This book seems like a great read for kids and young adults. I like how informative the review is, which piqued my interest. I'm also really interested in Japanese culture. Personally speaking, overall, the review is amazing.
Sarah Sonbol
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

I like these books that educates children (and adults as well) about different cultures in an engaging way. This way, kids learn without feeling the pressure from studying a school book. Thanks for the nice review.
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
Immaculate06
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-immaculate06.html
Latest Review: ByTheWay by Dennis Santos

Post by Immaculate06 »

It is good to know that the book delves into a little bit of japanese culture. It would definitely be a good read. Thanks for your review.

Return to “Children's Books”