Review of Jelly Bean Dean and the Bubble Machine

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Review of Jelly Bean Dean and the Bubble Machine

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Jelly Bean Dean and the Bubble Machine" by Tracy Stanaway.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Almost every person is afraid of something. Fear is a completely normal feeling; however, it is often unfounded. Children often have all sorts of silly fears. Jelly Bean Dean and the Bubble Machine by Tracy Stanaway is a children's book that addresses fear in a fun and unusual way by teaching children how to overcome it on their own.

The story follows Jelly Bean Dean, who one day finds an unusual machine on the beach. Although the machine intrigued her because of its strange appearance, she left it on the beach, thinking that someone had forgotten it there. However, the machine followed her all the way home. The next day, she saw the machine in her room and decided to take it to school. The reader further learns what happened at school and how the unusual machine helped the students overcome their fears.

The concept of the story is very imaginative and unusual. The characters in the book are personified beans, which is very strange, but I think most children might like that. What I like most is the message that is conveyed to readers. The author emphasizes that fear is, in most cases, unfounded and that it is just an uncomfortable thought that needs to be released. In addition, the illustrations are vibrant and colorful, which is always a big plus in children's books. Also, I did not find any grammatical errors. The book seems to be exceptionally well edited.

The only thing I do not like about the book is the fact that it is not elaborated enough. The first part of the book is a bit confusing. I think the author could have introduced the reader a little better to the context of the story. Likewise, the story somehow ends abruptly. I wanted to learn a little more about the different fears of the characters and how they dealt with them.

All things considered, I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. The rating would have been higher had the story been elaborated in more detail. I would recommend this book to children who have various unfounded fears because I think this story could help them overcome them. It would also be a good bedtime story.

Jelly Bean Dean and the Bubble Machine
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Urvashi Tripathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-urvashi-tripathi.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Urvashi Tripathi »

It would be an fun read for me. The interesting part is all the characters are beans, its gonna be something different to imagine. As we all have fears and life gives us chance to come out of it, I hope this book will help kids and even adult like me. Thank you for the beautiful review.
The frant1c reader
Favorite Book: Crime and Punshment
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-frant1c-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by The frant1c reader »

This book sounds like the physical version of the spell 'ridikulus' from Harry Potter! Seems entertaining. Nice review! :D
What do you despise? By this you are truly known....
~Dune.
Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chukwuebuka-ifedigbo.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo »

One of the lessons I have learnt in life is to always face my fears. I love this book for discussing this theme again. Thanks for this great review.
Novela book
Favorite Book: Chameleons
Currently Reading: The Midnight Library
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-novela-book.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Novela book »

Fear is seriously a big problem as we grow up but if we see it and try to overcome it as children then it can be get rid of. This book seems to have done that in a very funny way for the children. Great review 👍
Ldpuff
Currently Reading: Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ldpuff.html
Latest Review: The Merriest, The Beariest Bears by Doreen M. Atkinson

Post by Ldpuff »

I think the silliness of this book will get the attention of children reading it. I agree, it is odd though. I like the lessons about facing fears.
adriana+28
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by adriana+28 »

it seems entertaining with all characters being beans 8-)
Emily_Jen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-jen.html
Latest Review: Social Media Marketing Strategy by S. M. H. Gibson

Post by Emily_Jen »

It seems that this children's book addresses fear in a fun and unusual way by teaching children how to overcome it on their own. I like the sound of that and would make this book available for my niece. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Children's Books”