Review of Gregory Frog and Leopold

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christabel Uzoamaka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-uzoamaka.html
Latest Review: Atlantis Revealed by Riaan Booysen

Review of Gregory Frog and Leopold

Post by Christabel Uzoamaka »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Gregory Frog and Leopold" by Gaetano Facenda.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Gregory Frog is a unique frog that lives in a pond in the park; he has a robust voice and loves to sing. He loves nothing more than living at his home and playing with other animals there. Everything changes when he is forcefully taken by a rude child, Billy. In a wondrous turn of events, Gregory Frog finds himself in a pediatric hospital. It is at the hospital that he meets Leopold, a kind young boy. Leopold is sick with leukemia and is frail as a result. Gregory and Leopold have their little adventure in the hospital room, and Gregory tries to help his new friend overcome his fears and illness. But Gregory’s heart longs for home. Will Gregory ever make it back home? Will Leopold overcome his problems?

Gregory Frog and Leopold by Gaetano Facenda is a heartfelt, simplistic children’s book that teaches kindness to animals, the amazing power of the mind, and selflessness. I appreciated this depth and positive lessons. This book is considerate of health issues that children may have. Through Leopold’s character, the author tries to explain what leukemia is. The author also tries, through Gregory’s advice, to make children understand that illnesses may come, but they are not through any fault of the child. This stylish and considerate way of explaining complex issues such as cancer and guilt was laudable and lovable.

I would award this book with a perfect rating, but I found a handful of objective comma errors. Since this is a children’s book of just a little over 40 pages, it should not have any errors at all. Also, I found the illustrations to be dull. On one page, Leopold’s character did not have a face; instead, in his place was a grey figure. For a book that discusses such bleak, serious issues, the illustrations should be vibrant and colorful to give its readers some much-needed excitement.

The author’s writing style was complex for a children’s book. The author introduced many words that may not be common in many children’s vocabulary. For example, the author used the word “perceptive” to describe Gregory and compared the frog to Pavarotti, an Italian opera singer. The sophisticated writing style made the beginning of the story a chore to read. Because of the new words, I recommend that an adult should read this book to the child so that they can explain some of the words.

I, therefore, rate this book 3 out of 4. I did not rate it lower because the author’s finesse in teaching all the great lessons contained in the book weighs more than the few shortcomings in the book. This book is perfect for children aged 7-13. I also recommend this book to any parent whose child is battling any serious illness; this book will teach such kids to renew their strength and to remain gracious no matter what.

Gregory Frog and Leopold
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

It's a kind, lovely book with a wonderful message for kids. The new words and comparisons can be hard and also a tad difficult to understand. Thank you for a lovely review!
The frant1c reader
Favorite Book: Crime and Punshment
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-frant1c-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by The frant1c reader »

Gregory frog is my soul animal.Haha!
Your review is so good! :D
What do you despise? By this you are truly known....
~Dune.
Dartemis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dartemis.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by Dartemis »

It is nice to see a children’s book handle some serious topics like leukemia. I think it goes to show that children can handle these kinds of topics, especially if they are going through them. Thank you for your review.
Aljun Jalandoni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Aljun Jalandoni »

:techie-reference: A wonderful story to teach children about coping with illness. Throughout the novel, the author draws on his experience and knowledge of children's education to present a tough issue.
Strongly suggested!
Melusi Motsa
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Melusi Motsa »

It's a marvelous book, wonderful that teach children basically prescholars. I love it, robust singing voice of a frog and the Leopold. All the lessons that are important in bringing up children are there which is crucial. Here in Eswatini, South Africa we need authors like this, and especially books.
Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chukwuebuka-ifedigbo.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo »

This is a lovely children book. I heard a lot of stories like this while growing, and seeing this brings back nostalgic feelings. Thanks for this piece!
Deprise Evans
Favorite Author: Francine Rivers
Currently Reading: Crazy Love
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deprise-evans.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6456

Post by Deprise Evans »

Such a heartfelt and sweet children's book with a wonderful message. Such a great review!
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wadonnelly.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by WADonnelly »

This sounds like a lovely childrens' book but it is very frustrating that so short a book would have so many errors. Great and honest review though!
Emily_Jen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-jen.html
Latest Review: Social Media Marketing Strategy by S. M. H. Gibson

Post by Emily_Jen »

Will Gregory ever make it back home? Will Leopold overcome his problems? I know this is a children's book, but you write so well and make me want to read the book. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Children's Books”