Review of Fanciful Fairy Tales

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
J_odoyo
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-odoyo.html
Latest Review: Epicenter by Carrie Hannah

Review of Fanciful Fairy Tales

Post by J_odoyo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fanciful Fairy Tales" by Stan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Stories from the other world—the animals’ world—are vital for children; they present youngsters with a sense of stability and changelessness in this dynamic world, not to mention a natural order full of beauty and often laced with moral lessons. While children would like to read a good story, a story that infuses critical moral lessons and develops a child’s imagination is the one a parent would choose for their kids.

Stan R. Murray’s Fanciful Fairy Tales shines with a brilliant compilation of seven stories from the capricious mind of a gifted wordsmith. Murray immerses young readers into relevant and highly effective fairy tales that sharpen children’s imagination and equip them with creativity in handling various problems in this life.

The book opens with a humorous and riveting story titled “In-Chin-Bug-A-Lug-Ta-Da-Ta-Dum”. What a funny title! Here Zin-Zee, a frog, goes against the grain—neglects the tradition of her people and defies her parents by falling in love with a lawnmower. That sounds stupid; however, Zin-Zee found happiness. Although she could not have children, she bravely settled for what she wanted—showing that one’s happiness may sometimes ride over tradition or even culture.

Murray transports his readers into a world of fantasy where just about anything can happen, where Donté and Groo can find a day lost and try to convince it to come back, where punctuation marks talk, especially on the pages of an enjoyable book like this one.

The story I loved most was “The Angry Shoes”. It is a story of twin penguin sisters (Prim and Proper). These sisters suffered from “One-Sided Preferencing.” Prim would only favor left-sided things, never daring to venture or touch the opposite side, while her sister, Proper, would only favor right-sided things and nothing more. As the twin sisters suffer severely from their silly disposition—to the point of death, being resurrected as shoes, and later suffers the sting of separation, lying in different heaps of wastes—a reader learns that a person should be ready to face all sides of life. The author summarises it very well: “A pinch of glitter and a pinch of dust. A smidgin of this and a lot of that”.

There is a lot to like in Fanciful Fairy Tales; the stories are creative and educative. One notices valuable content for children in this book; the stories dazzle with invaluable moral lessons. Children can easily extract human ideas from the animals, who are merely humans in disguise. The young audience learns the value of good personality and integrity as they read the story: “Who Stole the Caterpillar Diamonds.”

The stories involve vivid descriptions and pragmatic conversations, not to mention the compelling humor that adores the pages of this book. Moreover, the seven stories can be read in any order that a reader desires. The book involves no vulgarity or erotic content.

Sincerely, there is nothing I disliked in this book; it was well written. I only found a few instances of minor errors, and I would say that the book was professionally edited. I heartily rate Fanciful Fairy Tales a full 4 out of 4 stars due to the aforementioned reasons. Giving this book a lower rating will be an outright injustice to its invaluable content.

Being a children's book, Fanciful Fairy Tales will appeal most to children aged seven years and above. Readers who love fairy tales will also enjoy this book, just as I did. However, those who hate fairy tales or “those lacking any form of imagination” would want to read other books.

Fanciful Fairy Tales
View: on Bookshelves
The more books you read the more choices you have
– Toni Morrison
Barbara Perini
Currently Reading: Il nome della rosa
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-perini.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Barbara Perini »

I found it so interesting when a story combines humor and life lessons. Indeed, it’s important to spread meaningful messages for children. And I think adults can get inspiration as well.
Benaron
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-benaron.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Benaron »

It's great that there are actual moral lessons within the book; some adult books don't even have that.
Ldpuff
Currently Reading: Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ldpuff.html
Latest Review: The Merriest, The Beariest Bears by Doreen M. Atkinson

Post by Ldpuff »

I love fairytales! I will have to check this book out, as I am a teacher myself. I like how their are many stories in one book and I think children will like that aspect as well. Seems like a good book to read at bedtime each night.
Emily_Jen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-jen.html
Latest Review: Social Media Marketing Strategy by S. M. H. Gibson

Post by Emily_Jen »

Through this book, Murray immerses young readers into relevant and highly effective fairy tales that sharpen children’s imagination and equip them with creativity in handling various problems in this life. This book is a must read for children. Parents should ensure to get a copy for their children. Nice review.
J_odoyo

Post by J_odoyo »

Barbara Perini wrote: 04 Jul 2021, 15:44 I found it so interesting when a story combines humor and life lessons. Indeed, it’s important to spread meaningful messages for children. And I think adults can get inspiration as well.
Sure, adults who love fairy tales will learn something from this book. Thanks for reading my review and dropping a comment.
– Toni Morrison
J_odoyo

Post by J_odoyo »

Benaron wrote: 04 Jul 2021, 20:08 It's great that there are actual moral lessons within the book; some adult books don't even have that.
Thanks Benaron for your kind comment.
– Toni Morrison
J_odoyo

Post by J_odoyo »

Emily_Jen wrote: 09 Jul 2021, 15:09 Through this book, Murray immerses young readers into relevant and highly effective fairy tales that sharpen children’s imagination and equip them with creativity in handling various problems in this life. This book is a must read for children. Parents should ensure to get a copy for their children. Nice review.
Thanks, Emily. This will make a great read for youngsters. A good parent buys a book like this for their kids.
– Toni Morrison
J_odoyo

Post by J_odoyo »

Ldpuff wrote: 08 Jul 2021, 18:10 I love fairytales! I will have to check this book out, as I am a teacher myself. I like how their are many stories in one book and I think children will like that aspect as well. Seems like a good book to read at bedtime each night.
Thanks Ldpuff for dropping your comment.
– Toni Morrison
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

It's great that stories teach children important moral lessons, in a way that is most appropriate for their age.
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Post by maggi3 »

These fairytales sound unique and creative, and I like that they all have a message to share. I'll have to try this one out. Thanks for the review!
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

I'm not fond of the first story you mentioned about the frog marrying a lawnmower, but the other stories sound fun.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about this book.
🙂
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann

Return to “Children's Books”