Review of Rusty Goes to Water World

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Review of Rusty Goes to Water World

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Rusty Goes to Water World" by Joseph C Fisher.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Rusty Goes to Water World is a delightful children's picture book by Joe Fisher. The story begins with a brief recap from the prequel; readers learn that the once-forgotten fire engine has endeared himself to the people of Someport-by-the-Sea after saving "their summer in a most unusual way." The second book of the series picks up the following spring. The townspeople want to honor Rusty, and Mayor Himself comes up with a great idea. Meanwhile, the second-grade students from Sea Stone Elementary decide to invite Rusty to their field trip to Water World. Everyone is so excited, but things don't quite go according to plan. Will Rusty save the day again? Follow his latest adventure to find out!

Illustrator Jaye Boswell brings the personalities of Rusty and the townspeople to life through her amusing artwork. The book teaches young readers ranging from ages four through eight about friendship, gratitude, problem-solving, and teamwork. Thanks to the introductory recap, the story can stand on its own. However, Rusty's latest adventure is likely to spark interest in the first and planned third books in the series.

I particularly like the story's nonsensical style of creativity; a town called "Someport-by-the-Sea" and characters like "Mayor Himself" give the picture book a fun quality that will delight young children. Likewise, the whimsical illustrations feature intricate details allowing readers to discover something new each time they turn the pages. For instance, one might initially notice the colorful clothing of the different townspeople. However, a second glance reveals a house with a door, windows, and steps resembling a smiling face. The position of the tree next to it almost looks like the house is waving.

On the other hand, I realize the play on pronouns was intentional, but the name inconsistencies "Mayor Himself" and "Mayor Yourself" could confuse children in the targeted age range. While the book has a professional appearance, I noted several minor errors. Since children of all ages need to see correct grammar and punctuation modeled in picture books, I cannot award it a perfect rating.

Overall, I rate Rusty Goes to Water World 3 out of 4 stars. The picture book will entertain the targeted audience, and I also recommend it to parents, teachers, and grandparents to read aloud to their little ones.

Rusty Goes to Water World
View: on Bookshelves
PeterRabitt20
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

The play on word seems clever—Mayor Himself and Mayor Yourself. I'd probably laugh at that, but I can see how it might be confusing to younger readers learning their vocabulary. Thanks for the review!
Ldpuff
Currently Reading: Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ldpuff.html
Latest Review: The Merriest, The Beariest Bears by Doreen M. Atkinson

Post by Ldpuff »

I had no idea the Rusty books were a series! What fabulous news. Great review! I like the silly aspects you mentioned. Kids seem to enjoy those type of things. It reminds me of Mayor Humdinger and Mayor Goodway from Paw Patrol.
Emily_Jen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-jen.html
Latest Review: Social Media Marketing Strategy by S. M. H. Gibson

Post by Emily_Jen »

"Everyone is so excited, but things don't quite go according to plan. Will Rusty save the day again?" Interestingly, I think I'd love to find out what happens even though this book is only a children's book. Nice review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

PeterRabitt20 wrote: 07 Jul 2021, 13:27 The play on word seems clever—Mayor Himself and Mayor Yourself. I'd probably laugh at that, but I can see how it might be confusing to younger readers learning their vocabulary. Thanks for the review!
Thanks for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Ldpuff wrote: 08 Jul 2021, 18:06 I had no idea the Rusty books were a series! What fabulous news. Great review! I like the silly aspects you mentioned. Kids seem to enjoy those type of things. It reminds me of Mayor Humdinger and Mayor Goodway from Paw Patrol.
Thank you! :tiphat:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Emily_Jen wrote: 09 Jul 2021, 15:10 "Everyone is so excited, but things don't quite go according to plan. Will Rusty save the day again?" Interestingly, I think I'd love to find out what happens even though this book is only a children's book. Nice review.
Thank you, Emily!

Return to “Children's Books”