Review of The Secret World of Delia and Mingli

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Review of The Secret World of Delia and Mingli

Post by Kristy Khem »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Secret World of Delia and Mingli" by Harley West.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Secret World of Delia and Mingli is the story of how a stuffed animal helped a little girl to get rid of her nightmares. When seven-year-old Delia went to China with her parents, she chose a stuffed elephant as her only souvenir. She named the toy Mingli in remembrance of the nice store clerk that sold it to her. On the first night after she returned from the trip, Delia had a horrible nightmare. Surprisingly, Mingli woke up too. Delia was shocked that her new toy could move and talk. Mingli was indeed a special stuffed elephant. He promised to take her to a place where bad dreams disappear. Delia agreed and the pair embarked on a magical trip to a place called Imagine Nation where King Jesper and Queen Freya reigned. Along the way, Delia and Mingli became embroiled in all sorts of fun adventures.

I think that the author, Harley West, wrote this book for children aged seven and over. Children who especially like fairytales and fantasy stories will enjoy this book. This book has several short chapters, so it would appeal to youngsters who are starting to read lengthier books. Although the story is very childish, I think that the word choice is too advanced in some cases. Words such as ‘exhilarating’, ‘numerous’, and ‘apprehensive’ may be a bit difficult for children to understand. However, this may encourage learning instead of being a deterrence.

I liked the educational aspects of the book. For instance, Delia encountered a rabbit who was behaving rather aggressively. She was afraid of it, but she was told that rabbits perform a binky when they are excited. Here, Delia learned that rabbits are harmless creatures. In another part of the story, Delia was involved in an embarrassing situation and was very angry because Mingli laughed at her. By talking to Mingli, she understood that he would never intentionally hurt her feelings. From his perspective, she saw how humorous the situation was. Most importantly, she learned not to take things too seriously.

The animated pictures in the book were a colorful addition to the story. They will help readers to get a visual image of Delia and the other characters. The story was easy to read because it was typed in a large font. I found a few errors in the story, so one more round of editing would be useful.

At the start of the book, the story focuses on the trip to China. I was prepared for the tale to be set there, but the author abruptly changed the course of the story by skipping ahead to the last day of the trip. This was disappointing. I think that this story missed out on introducing an exotic location and culture to young readers. Chinese elements could have been easily incorporated in the story too; for instance, an emperor instead of a king or a Chinese dragon instead of a regular dragon.

Overall, I rate this book 3 out of 4. It was educational and easy to read, but The Secret World of Delia and Mingli has the potential to be even more amazing and unique if the book underwent another round of editing and if cultural additions were included.

The Secret World of Delia and Mingli
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

The cover is pretty. I really like the story of a stuffed animal coming to life and helping overcome the nightmares. Thanks for a thoughtful and nice review!
Adego 002
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adego-002.html
Latest Review: Gardening With Guns by AJ Wootton

Post by Adego 002 »

It's thrilling that this book is so much fun. Children would enjoy this book as it has been based on an interesting theme....nice review
The frant1c reader
Favorite Book: Crime and Punshment
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-frant1c-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by The frant1c reader »

I can't help but mention how my brain just screamed 'how cute!' while I was reading the review! Great job! :D
What do you despise? By this you are truly known....
~Dune.
Reader Chavez
Currently Reading: Jirvania
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-chavez.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Reader Chavez »

It seems like an endearing story! I love the cover of the book. Although I think I'm a little old to read this book Ill definitely recommend it to my nieces, they'll love it. Thanks for such a great review!
Aniket23_j
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Aniket23_j »

Although I think I'm a little old to read this book Ill definitely recommend it to my nieces, they'll love it. Thanks for such a great review!
sankela sanday
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sankela sanday »

It's an interesting Book and i like the story of animal coming to life and helpin others I love the book can't wait to show to my kid.....
Edria Dayyinah
Favorite Book: We Were Liars
Currently Reading: Emma
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edria-dayyinah.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Edria Dayyinah »

I totally agree when you said that the book will be better if it incorporated cultural elements in the story. There needs to be more asian representation in children’s books!
Kristy Khem
Currently Reading:

Post by Kristy Khem »

Kavita Shah wrote: 10 Jul 2021, 03:16 The cover is pretty. I really like the story of a stuffed animal coming to life and helping overcome the nightmares. Thanks for a thoughtful and nice review!
I totally agree! I like the cover design too!
Kristy Khem
Currently Reading:

Post by Kristy Khem »

Adego 002 wrote: 10 Jul 2021, 09:03 It's thrilling that this book is so much fun. Children would enjoy this book as it has been based on an interesting theme....nice review
You're welcome! Thank you for popping by to leave a comment.
Kristy Khem
Currently Reading:

Post by Kristy Khem »

The frant1c reader wrote: 10 Jul 2021, 13:08 I can't help but mention how my brain just screamed 'how cute!' while I was reading the review! Great job! :D
It was definitely a cute story. Thank you for reading and commenting on my review!
Kristy Khem
Currently Reading:

Post by Kristy Khem »

Reader Chavez wrote: 10 Jul 2021, 20:37 It seems like an endearing story! I love the cover of the book. Although I think I'm a little old to read this book Ill definitely recommend it to my nieces, they'll love it. Thanks for such a great review!
Your nieces will surely enjoy this book. Thanks for reading my review and leaving a comment!
Kristy Khem
Currently Reading:

Post by Kristy Khem »

sankela sanday wrote: 11 Jul 2021, 01:46 It's an interesting Book and i like the story of animal coming to life and helpin others I love the book can't wait to show to my kid.....
I am glad you liked the concept of the book. I know your kid will enjoy it! Thank you for leaving a comment!
Kristy Khem
Currently Reading:

Post by Kristy Khem »

Edria Dayyinah wrote: 11 Jul 2021, 06:32 I totally agree when you said that the book will be better if it incorporated cultural elements in the story. There needs to be more asian representation in children’s books!
Yes! The author set it up nicely with the trip to China but then backtracked :(

Thanks for reading my review and leaving a comment!
Sarah Sonbol
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

I agree that including difficult vocabulary can be useful for children, but at the same time, doing this excessively may lead to an opposite effect. I hope this is not the case here as the story looks to be appealing for young children. Great review.
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June

Return to “Children's Books”