Review of Rusty The Forgotten Fire Engine

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Review of Rusty The Forgotten Fire Engine

Post by ciecheesemeister »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Rusty The Forgotten Fire Engine" by Joe Fisher.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Rusty the Forgotten Fire Engine is a children’s story written by Joe Fisher and illustrated by Jaye Boswell. It tells the story of Rusty, who was once a splendid new fire engine called Reddy. Everyone in the town of Someport-By-The-Sea loved Reddy, who was always at the ready to put out fires.

For many years, Reddy was always at the front of the Fourth of July parade in Someport-By-The Sea. But with time, newer and shinier vehicles were brought into town and Reddy fell further and further back until he was the last vehicle in the parade. His beautiful red paint rusted, and he became an object of ridicule.

The story does have a happy ending and it is appropriate for readers of all ages. Middle-grade students may be able to read the book on their own. It has beautiful illustrations, an engaging plot, and it moves along at a steady but not frenzied pace.

The story has good lessons for readers of all ages. There was absolutely nothing that I disliked about it, although I honestly did cry when Rusty was bullied and pushed aside.

Too often people are very quick to be rid of things that aren’t shiny and new and may require a little repair or a helping hand. This includes other people.

The elderly and disabled are often seen as broken, useless, and “uncool.” Having been viewed this way on more than one occasion myself, I probably empathized with Rusty more than the average adult might. I know what it feels like to be seen as broken and unwanted, a thing that people would just as soon throw away.

I am certain that the book was professionally edited. I found no errors in the text. I was pleased that the author chose to tell the story in a straightforward manner rather than in a rhyming scheme. While rhyming stories have their place, I think that not rhyming benefited this story.

I do not hesitate to give Rusty the Forgotten Fire Engine four out of four stars. While it was written with children in mind, I recommend it to anyone of any age who may have been mistreated because they have a disability or are different in some fashion.

Rusty the Forgotten Fire Engine teaches us that we should learn to repair and repurpose items that can still be useful rather than always hurrying to buy the newest and shiniest thing, and we should always give people a chance to shine in their own style, even if they can’t do things in the way that we think they “should” do them.

Rusty The Forgotten Fire Engine
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
sharon titus
Currently Reading: Her Eyes Underwater
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon-titus.html
Latest Review: My Only Sunshine by Lou Dischler

Post by sharon titus »

This book has an important lesson to teach. I would definitely read this book. Great review. Thank you for your hard work.
Ldpuff
Currently Reading: Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ldpuff.html
Latest Review: The Merriest, The Beariest Bears by Doreen M. Atkinson

Post by Ldpuff »

I am a teacher, so I am always looking for new books to read with/to my students! I love a book that teaches a lesson, as this one does. It sounds great.

Return to “Children's Books”