Review of Unicorns Know Magic

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Review of Unicorns Know Magic

Post by ciecheesemeister »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Unicorns Know Magic" by Charles Adkins.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Unicorns Know Magic is a children’s book written by Charles T. Adkins and illustrated by Ros Webb. In the story, a group of extraterrestrial unicorns come to Earth and move in next door to a young brother and sister. They befriend the children, and all of them have many happy adventures together.

This rhyming story is appropriate for children of all ages. Middle-grade students may be able to read it on their own. The illustrations are colorful and eye-catching. The unicorns are friendly and helpful although their table manners leave something to be desired.

I have read rhyming stories where the author seems to have struggled to keep a uniform meter and where the rhymes sometimes seem forced. That isn’t the case with this book. The meter is quite concise, and the rhymes flow naturally. Further, the book seems to have been professionally edited. I found no errors in the text.

There was nothing I disliked about the story. I do have a minor critique regarding the text. I have this story in e-book form, so this may not be a problem in print. I had no trouble reading the text against the white background, but it was sometimes difficult to read against the colorful background.

I feel that a large, bold font would solve this problem. I think that sometimes the creators of illustrated stories may feel that a bold font would look garish and ruin the appearance of their book. I have never found this to be the case. I always appreciate a big, crisp, easy-to-read font.

I will grant that I am in my middle years (56 years old) and I have cataracts, so reading delicate letters against a colorful background presents a challenge for me. However, I still think that it is something to keep in mind as grandparents may be the ones reading the story to children.

Overall, I thought that Unicorns Know Magic was a wonderful book with a cheerful story that both children and adults will enjoy. It is evident that a great deal of thought and care went into the creation of this book before it was released. I feel that it has easily earned four out of four stars.

Unicorns Know Magic
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Adego 002
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adego-002.html
Latest Review: Gardening With Guns by AJ Wootton

Post by Adego 002 »

This book is very interesting I just read it and I also suggest something should be done about the text otherwise it's an interesting and simple book for children.
Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ailakhu-yusau-aizhebiomon.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic

Post by Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon »

I haven't read the book. However, children books are always fun to read especially when filled with colours and images.
The frant1c reader
Favorite Book: Crime and Punshment
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-frant1c-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by The frant1c reader »

Unicorns are just my aesthetic! I would love to read it. Thank you for such a well written review! :D
What do you despise? By this you are truly known....
~Dune.
Chisen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chisen.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher

Post by Chisen »

I just read this book, and I love the details and how nice the unicorns are. I also do agree with you that the words might be a little too thin and hard to read, but otherwise the content it great. Thanks for your review!
Reader Chavez
Currently Reading: Jirvania
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-chavez.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Reader Chavez »

I'm a unicorn fan so it's definitely a book I'm interested to read! I love children's books, especially with bright colors and images. I'll read it to my nieces, they'll love it. Thanks for the great review!
Edria Dayyinah
Favorite Book: We Were Liars
Currently Reading: Emma
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edria-dayyinah.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Edria Dayyinah »

The cover is absolutely stunning! Would be very captivating for young children. Amazing review you have.
Amanda Dobson
Currently Reading: The King's Trial
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-dobson.html
Latest Review: The Quest For The Phoenix Crown by Xander T. Petersen
Reading Device: Apple

Post by Amanda Dobson »

As I child any book that I found with unicorns was a hit as I just loved them. To see this book and read your review you just brought back so many happy memories at the library with my mom. Thank you so much.
Mayur Arjune
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayur-arjune.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright

Post by Mayur Arjune »

Unicorn has been a hot topic since my childhood. And the stories of magic. The combination of this two will bring joy to children. The review has a pretty clear tone. Thank you.

Return to “Children's Books”