Review of Sily Sebastian

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Guda Lydia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guda-lydia.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Review of Sily Sebastian

Post by Guda Lydia »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sily Sebastian" by Bess Reynolds.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In a certain lovely neighborhood, there lived six friendly and happy cats. They were Cornelius, La Fayette, Zambia, Penelope, Thomasina, and Silly Sebastian. Just like ordinary cats, five of them loved snuggling and sleeping in warm and cozy places in their houses. However, Sebastian loved sleeping outside in nature.

His family comprised of Mom, Dad, Olivia, and Emilia tried all the tricks they could to get him back inside, but none worked. Sebastian slept outside, undeterred. The changing weather was also no match for Sebastian, and he slept outside in the rain and puddles. Every other cat slept inside except Sebastian. Soon, months turned to years, life moved on, and Sebastian was unmoved. Will the silly cat ever get back inside?

Silly Sebastian by Bess Reynolds is a pleasingly descriptive and fun children’s book. Each page has bright watercolor pictures that tell the story, even without the words. For instance, a child can effortlessly identify the intricate details of the places in nature Sebastian slept in, like a blooming sunflower or earthworm near him. The various sleeping positions of the other cats make the book hilarious and enjoyable. It is equally easy to distinguish the family members, note the activities they are engaged in, and feel the emotions Sebastian causes.

My favorite aspect of the book is the several learning opportunities within the story, like the seasons through the depiction of the sunshine and heavy rain. Additionally, there are elements of nature like plants, soil, insects, and a spider. The picture of a homey environment through the neighborhood, family members, and home makes the book very relatable and realistic.

There is absolutely nothing to dislike about the storybook. The editing is exceptional and excellent, evidenced by the lack of spelling or grammar errors. The sentences are short and comprised of simple words and phrases. The book is suitable for children between the ages of zero to six. Linda Willis meticulously illustrates each scene, embedding lessons and fun in each page, making for a very engaging read. I gladly give it a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I heartily recommend it to those looking for a delightful and succinct read for their children, highlighting the funny nature of cats and the unconditional love of a family. It can also be a good bedtime story due to its satisfying conclusion.

Sily Sebastian
View: on Bookshelves
Emily_Jen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-jen.html
Latest Review: Social Media Marketing Strategy by S. M. H. Gibson

Post by Emily_Jen »

Will the silly cat ever get back inside? I think animals are an effective way of connecting with kids. I'm sure kids would be interested in this one. Nice review.

Return to “Children's Books”