Review of My Sister, My Best Friend

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Review of My Sister, My Best Friend

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My Sister, My Best Friend" by K. W. Raggs.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

My Sister, My Best Friend by K.W. Raggs is a children’s book about two sisters, Tia and Mya. Tia and Mya are best friends as much as they are sisters. They help solve each other’s problems and build each other’s confidence. Their bond is so strong that they are almost inseparable. One day, however, Mya was invited to a sleepover party while Tia had to stay home. Will one of them be okay without the other?

I like how this book depicts sisterly love. The two sisters are very supportive of each other. For example, when Mya got a B on a test, Tia cheered her up and validated her hard work. Also, I liked how the conflict did not sprout from rivalry but in a situation where the two got separated. It is also amazing how they understand that they can’t be with each other all the time. They know how to be by themselves at times while still thinking about each other.

This book does a great job of telling a simple story with a great message. I can just imagine how the story will serve as an example for its young readers. Upon seeing the advantages of having a deep and meaningful bond with another person, a kid will be motivated to create this kind of relationship with others. Kids who are afraid of making friends will also benefit from this book.

I didn’t have anything to dislike about this book, as I was thoroughly satisfied. I found three minor errors, so I would say the editing was good. I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars for all its merits. The writing has rhyme schemes that made this book a joy to read. Big, colorful illustrations fill the pages, adding visual interest to my reading experience. I appreciate how the book tells the importance of building a meaningful relationship with a friend or a sibling.

At a young age, a child should be able to cultivate meaningful relationships with kids their age. Like Tia and Mya, they should also foster love and care for their siblings. I would then recommend this book to young readers between the ages of seven and twelve. Little girls would probably appreciate this book the most. Parents who have more than one kid should also pick up this book and read it to them.

My Sister, My Best Friend
View: on Bookshelves
Bernabe Mulimba
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bernabe-mulimba.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Bernabe Mulimba »

:techie-reference: Interesting title to read. In fact it would be very nice if a sister or brother were as friendly as the book refers. But unfortunately, not all sisters are united.
Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ailakhu-yusau-aizhebiomon.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic

Post by Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon »

I think the book promotes smooth and cordial relationship between and amongst children. It's indeed a book to read for all parents.
The frant1c reader
Favorite Book: Crime and Punshment
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-frant1c-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by The frant1c reader »

Just reminds me of my sister. Love the bonding between Tia and May. Thank you for your review! :D
What do you despise? By this you are truly known....
~Dune.
Reader Chavez
Currently Reading: Jirvania
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-chavez.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Reader Chavez »

Reminds me a lot of my sister, we've always been really close. Love the relation and support between Tia and May. Thanks for the great review!
zimasa rose n
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by zimasa rose n »

This book is very good . It speaks to me as mother of 4 girls trying to teach them about the importance of friendship and being independent as a young girl.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

It seems like a lovely book that explores sisterhood. I also enjoyed reading your pleasant and well-written review. Great job!
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

This book sounds like a great way to model a healthy, supportive relationship with a sibling. Thank you for your recommendation. This was a lovely review! :balloon:
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your interesting review. The close relationship between Tia and Mya is a perfect example of sisterly love. This book is quite educational and simple enough so that even young kids will be able to enjoy it.
Justine Ocsebio
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Omega_01 wrote: 10 Jul 2021, 11:56 I think the book promotes smooth and cordial relationship between and amongst children. It's indeed a book to read for all parents.
Thank you for your feedback!
Justine Ocsebio

Sou Hi wrote: 04 Aug 2021, 20:36 Thanks for your interesting review. The close relationship between Tia and Mya is a perfect example of sisterly love. This book is quite educational and simple enough so that even young kids will be able to enjoy it.
Thanks for stopping by!
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

Thanks for the in-depth review! I think this book is not only for sisters, but also for all siblings. Because the values outlined in this book are common for all siblings, irrespective of gender. Amazing book, and equally amazing review.

Return to “Children's Books”