Review of Where do dreams come from

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Review of Where do dreams come from

Post by Mwatu »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Where do dreams come from" by Mike schmidke.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Where Do Dreams Come From by Mike Schmidke is a child’s book detailing Johnny's story as narrated to his granddaughter PenniLu. Johnny was five years old when his family moved, leaving behind his friends. The family moved to a beach house where he became friends with Aspira. Aspira is a mermaid who taught him how to swim, and they cultivated a deep friendship. When Johnny was in fifth grade, his parents moved again. Johnny said goodbye to his friends except for Aspira. He began having vivid dreams of poems, songs and places in remarkable detail. Johnny wrote down the poems and songs in these dreams. After he grew up, he moved back to the home his family left behind while in 5th grade for work. He met his wife at work, and they bore two sons. After all those years, did Johnny and Aspira meet again? Did he find out where his dreams came from?

I loved how easy it was to follow the story. The language is straightforward, and the book is a short read seeing that it is only 28 pages long. Various colourful illustrations of Johnny reinforce the read and make it more engaging. I particularly enjoyed the drawing showing the beach house they moved to while Johnny was five years old as it corrected my mental picture of the beach house. PenniLu came off as comfortable around her grandfather, and I found it warm to see them share the bond they do.

I felt a disconnect between the book’s title and the content at first. My initial expectation was the book would show potential sources for our life goals and ambitions. I later realised, however, that the title referred to the vivid dreams Johnny has. I also found it odd how Johnny’s parents did not question his sudden knowledge of swimming. The ease with which Johnny and Aspira formed a friendship as well felt too convenient and potentially unsafe.

There were a few errors in the text, mostly to do with punctuation. These did not distract from my reading. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is a quick, enjoyable read that parents can read to their young ones or have the young ones read for themselves.

I recommend this book to young children aged five and above. It serves as a good bedtime story or an overall leisure read.

Where do dreams come from
View: on Bookshelves
Lauren Hanna
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Last to Vanish
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauren-hanna.html
Latest Review: Mamma & Me by Eloisa B. Lucas

Post by Lauren Hanna »

This sounds like a cute story for children. To be honest, it's not what I was expecting when I looked at the cover! Thank you for your thorough review.
Emily_Jen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-jen.html
Latest Review: Social Media Marketing Strategy by S. M. H. Gibson

Post by Emily_Jen »

After all those years, did Johnny and Aspira meet again? Did he find out where his dreams came from? I think children would enjoy this book, and I look forward to finding the answers to the thought-provoking question. Thanks for the review.
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

This sounds like a lovely fantasy storybook for young children. I like how it combines real elements, such as moving to different places and imaginary creatures like mermaids.

Thank you for a great review.
:tiphat:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
The frant1c reader
Favorite Book: Crime and Punshment
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-frant1c-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by The frant1c reader »

Pleasant storyline. Would like to give it a try. Thank you for such a well written review! :D
What do you despise? By this you are truly known....
~Dune.
Reader Chavez
Currently Reading: Jirvania
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-chavez.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Reader Chavez »

This seems like a great book for children. An interesting and entertaining story with both real and fantasy characters. I'll recommend it to my nieces who love mermaids. Thanks for the great review!
Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ailakhu-yusau-aizhebiomon.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic

Post by Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon »

Having such a practical experience while growing up as a kid makes this storyline fascinating for me. I really want to read the book.
smolbird
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Pariah by Robert C. Swetz
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by smolbird »

I love children's books and mermaids, so I'm very interested in this book. I'm curious if he ever gets to meet Aspira again. Thank you for the great review!
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
Humeyra Karakas
Currently Reading: How children learn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-humeyra-karakas.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Humeyra Karakas »

Such a cute story. It reminded me of Asa Lind's book -Zackarina and the Sand Wolf.
Thanks for the review.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Lovely review! I am really curious to find out where did those dreams come from!
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Mwatu »

Lauren16 wrote: 09 Jul 2021, 14:33 This sounds like a cute story for children. To be honest, it's not what I was expecting when I looked at the cover! Thank you for your thorough review.
The cover & especially the title also threw me off at first. I agree it is a very cute story. Thank you for reading through!
Emily_Jen wrote: 09 Jul 2021, 15:03 After all those years, did Johnny and Aspira meet again? Did he find out where his dreams came from? I think children would enjoy this book, and I look forward to finding the answers to the thought-provoking question. Thanks for the review.
I hope you enjoy the short read. Thank you for stopping by!
Josephe-Anne wrote: 10 Jul 2021, 08:25 This sounds like a lovely fantasy storybook for young children. I like how it combines real elements, such as moving to different places and imaginary creatures like mermaids.

Thank you for a great review.
:tiphat:
It is all around lovely indeed. Thank you for commenting!
The frant1c reader wrote: 10 Jul 2021, 13:38 Pleasant storyline. Would like to give it a try. Thank you for such a well written review! :D
Thank you for your reading through!
Reader Chavez wrote: 10 Jul 2021, 20:56 This seems like a great book for children. An interesting and entertaining story with both real and fantasy characters. I'll recommend it to my nieces who love mermaids. Thanks for the great review!
I pray your nieces love the read. Thank you for stopping by!
Omega_01 wrote: 10 Jul 2021, 23:03 Having such a practical experience while growing up as a kid makes this storyline fascinating for me. I really want to read the book.
I'm glad to see you relate to the storyline. Thank you for sharing!
smolbird wrote: 11 Jul 2021, 05:45 I love children's books and mermaids, so I'm very interested in this book. I'm curious if he ever gets to meet Aspira again. Thank you for the great review!
I hope that you find the ending pleasant. :) Thank you for leaving a comment!
Humeyra Karakas wrote: 11 Jul 2021, 06:31 Such a cute story. It reminded me of Asa Lind's book -Zackarina and the Sand Wolf.
Thanks for the review.
I'll look up Lind's book as I am unfamiliar with it. Glad that my review resonated with you, however. Thanks for stopping by!
Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 11 Jul 2021, 06:36 Lovely review! I am really curious to find out where did those dreams come from!
Glad the book has ignited an interest. Thank you stopping by!

Return to “Children's Books”