Review of The Dragons of Chiroptera

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Review of The Dragons of Chiroptera

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Dragons of Chiroptera" by Milan Seeff.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Dragons of Chriopetra by Milan Seeff is a young adult novel about a mythical kingdom of dragons (also known as drachs in this book) where a young dragon called Eclipse is learning his identity. Through this book, the author explores the meaning of true friendship, bravery, courage, and belonging.

The writer begins by describing a female dragon named Tanzanite, who hatches a dragon egg. She is hiding in a cave, as she has laid an egg of a hybrid dragon, which is forbidden in Chiropetra, the dragon kingdom, as different dragon species cannot mix with each other. The author reveals that Queen Scorch, the Queen of the Flame Drachs, kills Tanzanite and steals her egg. The egg grows up and is called Eclipse, but he is constantly belittled by Queen Scorch, as she does not see the powerful magical powers one would be expecting from a hybrid drach species. In the palace, Eclipse befriends Lionfish, a sea drach who does not have that many powers. Eclipse attends fighting and combat classes. In one of his classes, he gets so angry at his instructor that his real powers come out and he almost completely destroys the place.

This book contained a plethora of positive characteristics. For one, I only found a few grammar mistakes in the story, which proves that it has been professionally edited. Moreover, I enjoyed the author’s originality and creativity, as she presented the story in a unique way. There were also plenty of suitable illustrations which matched the text and made the plot easier to comprehend. Furthermore, the story was structured wonderfully, as the author expertly switched from the present to the past, thus adding interest to the text. What I liked most about this book was that the writer evoked pathos and emotion through the way he manipulated language by employing linguistic devices and narrative techniques, such as dialogue and cliffhangers. I found no negative features in this book.

This book will be mostly liked by teenagers who like stories related to fantasy and dragons. Very young children should avoid the book, as it will be too long for them, and they may find some scenes too violent. Readers who like action-packed novels with twists and turns will appreciate this story.

In conclusion, this book deserves a score of 4 out of 4 stars. This is because it was well edited, expertly structured, originally written, and very exciting to read.

The Dragons of Chiroptera
View: on Bookshelves
Mayur Arjune
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayur-arjune.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright

Post by Mayur Arjune »

The stories of dragons and their wild fire are always fresh to read, children love them. The review has kept on edge of the chair while reading it. Thank you.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I don't care much for fantasy books, but this one sounds interesting! I am curious to know how things move forward for Eclipse after he loses his temper and his real powers are revealed! Thanks for the excellent review!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is a unique fantasy fiction children's book highlighting fleeing, the journey of self-discovery, love, adversity, and the meaning of family. The book is temporarily discounted on Amazon Kindle and has an inciteful OnlineBookClub review. Congrats on the BOTD selection.
Deval Sodha
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 372
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deval-sodha.html
Latest Review: Speaks for Itself by Jeffrey Paul Bailey.

Post by Deval Sodha »

This is a young adult novel about a mythical kingdom of dragons where a young dragon called Eclipse is learning his identity. The author beautifully explores the meaning of true friendship, bravery, courage, and belonging. All in all it is a must read.
The review is superb.
Congratulations on Botd 🎉
Jorge Leon Salazar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jorge-leon-salazar.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Jorge Leon Salazar »

This fantasy book about dragons looks suitable for young adults. It seems to include a lot of action with unexpected twists. Also, I find it positive that it contains illustrations that make the plot easier to understand.
Janelydia Mwangi
Currently Reading: Bugs, Weeds, and Water
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelydia-mwangi.html
Latest Review: Surviving Life As An Actor by Jerry a. Greenberg
Reading Device: Android

Post by Janelydia Mwangi »

This world of dragons with restrictions on the kind of dragons to hatch symbolises the adult world where hierarchy prevents progress for people for example the wealthy belittle those from humble backgrounds and marriage is usually restricted beginning with socialization.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

What a splendid blurb for a YA book. I hope young readers pick this book up. I love original stories but I think I am out of group range. And I rarely enjoy YA anymore. But I love that this is a YA fantasy. Great job with the review.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Hyacinth Bella
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyacinth-bella.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Hyacinth Bella »

This looks fantastic! Suddenly, I am reminded of Game of Thrones and Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire because of the dragons. I want to read this book to know what kind of adventure awaits me at the end! Thank you so much for the wonderful review!
Abisolalawal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abisolalawal.html
Latest Review: Wellness Toolbox by Don Roberts

Post by Abisolalawal »

The stories of dragons and their wild fire are always interesting to read, and children enjoy them. Good freview and congratulations on BOTD!
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

I am not a big fan of fantasy, but this seems more than that. It sounds like a Disney movie with a lot of lessons to learn. Many will enjoy this. Thanks for your review.
Harsh Soni 3
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: How To Be Successful
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harsh-soni-3.html
Latest Review: Money Habits Grandma Taught Me by Luke Pentagon

Post by Harsh Soni 3 »

The book seems like a fiction book with the decent character development. But, I am not a massive fan of fiction books, so I will pass this one. Thanks for this great review.
Pandora10
Favorite Book: Remembering Christmas
Currently Reading: The Road to Management
Bookshelf Size: 116

Post by Pandora10 »

This looks like a fascinating fantasy novel for the young adult reader. The character of Eclipse, the hybrid drach, is likeable. As an orphan, held by a wicked Queen, he wonders what a real family would be like. Readers that enjoy fantasy stories will be routing for Eclipse as he starts his journey to discover his family.
asteel18
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asteel18.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by asteel18 »

My teenage years are only a faint memory, but I still love stories about dragons. Nice review.
-Amy
Umesh Bhatt
Favorite Book: Identity And Violence
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-umesh-bhatt.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
2024 Reading Goal: 8
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by Umesh Bhatt »

This type of fantasies generally keep their readers glued to them, especially the young readers. Thanks for the nice review.
Knowledge is power but one has to be a bookworm! :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Children's Books”