Review of Bear Don’t You Dare!

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Review of Bear Don’t You Dare!

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bear Don’t You Dare!" by Sarah MacPhail.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Each pet has a unique personality. Some just lie around, some are highly hyperactive, and some pets are incredibly naughty. It could also be said that many pets are goofy in their special way. I think one thing that most pets have in common is the tremendous love their owners have for them. Bear Don't You Dare!: And Chloe by Sarah MacPhail is a children's book in which the author describes the daily adventures of a small puppy and a bunny.

This book is a combination of two short stories. The first refers to a small puppy named Bear. He is very playful, likes to explore everything, and often causes various troubles. The author in verse describes the various mischiefs that Bear performs each day. The second story is about a bunny named Chloe. Chloe is a very stubborn bunny and always makes trouble for her owner by continually nibbling on her shoes. Throughout the book, the reader further learns what other mischiefs Bear and Chloe are causing and what their owner is doing about it.

The book is very witty and fun. I really like that it is written in verse and that it is full of rhyme. This is very convenient for younger children who will be reading this book because rhyme can help them acquire a new vocabulary, and it is more fun. Plus, I like the illustrations because they look hand-drawn. They are not perfect, and that makes them more interesting and unique. I also like that different colors were used in the text, and the font is also atypical.

There is nothing in the book that I do not like. Both stories are fun, dynamic, and melodic. The author even conveys the message to the reader, and that is the fact that it is important to be patient with pets. Although sometimes they destroy something, jump on the table or decide to take a bath in the biggest puddle of water, they can almost always bring a smile to our faces.

All in all, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I really enjoyed reading it. I also have a mischievous dog, so I sympathize with the author. In addition, I did not encounter any grammatical errors, so the book seems to be exceptionally well edited. I would recommend the book primarily to lower elementary students and anyone who loves unusual stories about silly animals.

Bear Don’t You Dare!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Mary Johns
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mary Johns »

This sounds like the kind of book I will get my young relatives (who love pets) to get them into reading! Great review!
Edria Dayyinah
Favorite Book: We Were Liars
Currently Reading: Emma
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edria-dayyinah.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Edria Dayyinah »

I love books with rhymes and I’m sure any child will do too. Thank you for this great review!
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Just looking at the book cover, this book seems hilarious. The puppy on there already looks a bit mischievous. Thanks for the review!

Return to “Children's Books”