Review of Kaylie's Forgotten Birthday- children's book

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emily_Jen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-jen.html
Latest Review: Social Media Marketing Strategy by S. M. H. Gibson

Review of Kaylie's Forgotten Birthday- children's book

Post by Emily_Jen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Kaylie's Forgotten Birthday- children's book" by Kimberly Shelton-Porter.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Kaylie is excited when her mom comes into her room to perform what has become a ritual of waking her up with tickles to her feet. She is even more excited today because it’s her birthday. However, there seems to be a problem. Mom doesn’t seem to remember that today is Kaylie's birthday. Kaylie hopes it’s only a ploy for a surprise birthday treat.

As the day progresses, she becomes sad that no one has wished her a happy birthday, including her father. Even when she gets to school, no one has told her "happy birthday," not even her best friend or class teacher. Everyone seems to have forgotten, but she still hopes that a birthday surprise awaits her at home when she returns from school. Has everyone forgotten Kaylie’s birthday for real? Is there any birthday surprise awaiting her at home? Find out the answers to the questions in this children’s book called Kaylie’s Forgotten Birthday by Kimberly Shelton-Porter.

There are certain things I like about this edition that makes it a good choice for its intended audience. First, the book’s length is quite short. I don’t think children have a long reading span, so this 27-page publication is just right for them in that regard. Also, I like what the story is about. Birthdays are an important part of every youngster’s life, and they would find it to be an interesting topic. Additionally, I appreciated that the author included some form of suspense in the story, and children would be eager to know what happened at the end as a result.

The aspect of this book I enjoyed the most is the unique and colorful illustrations that are scattered throughout the book. I think every child's attention is easily piqued when they see pictures; therefore, their reading span can be maintained for a longer time thanks to the drawings. While I read, the pictures not only made me follow the story better but also made me refreshed. Furthermore, teachers would be able to use this book to teach children about colors. In truth, this is a good book, and I enjoyed reading it. Needless to say, the novel is exceptionally edited since I found no errors throughout the text. However, this book isn’t without blemishes.

One thing I didn’t quite like in the book is that I didn’t learn anything from the publication in terms of morals. I think it is not only important for children to have fun while reading a book, but they must also learn valuable lessons through the books that read. As a result, I think it is right for me to remove one star to rate Kaylie’s Forgotten Birthday 3 out of 4 stars. Parents and teachers of kids between four and eight that are looking to purchase a fun read for their kids should consider this book as a great choice; I recommend it to them. If you’re looking to impart some kind of moral lesson to your child through books, you may want to look away from this one.

Kaylie's Forgotten Birthday- children's book
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Adego 002
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adego-002.html
Latest Review: Gardening With Guns by AJ Wootton

Post by Adego 002 »

Am also anxious to know what happens at the end of the story and it seems to be an interesting book for children though it's disappointing that there is no moral lesson. This is a great review.
Ldpuff
Currently Reading: Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ldpuff.html
Latest Review: The Merriest, The Beariest Bears by Doreen M. Atkinson

Post by Ldpuff »

Interesting points! I love children’s books illustrations. They can be so exciting. I agree, I do enjoy when a lesson is incorporated, but it is just fun to read sometimes.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

This is every child's nightmare: a forgotten birthday! :shock: It makes me wonder, maybe it was the wrong day. Thanks for the wonderful review!
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

I just wish they didn't forget her birthday. I can imagine that feeling. Perhaps there's a surprise waiting for her. This sounds exciting. Thanks for the amazing review and recommendation.
Edria Dayyinah
Favorite Book: We Were Liars
Currently Reading: Emma
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edria-dayyinah.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Edria Dayyinah »

Children’s books are often predictable but your review made me question if Kaylie did actually got her birthday celebrated. What if they did forgot D: such an insightful review!
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I loved reading your review and your detailed observations.
I must say this: I would hate to be awaken like that, with tickles to my feet :).
Great job!
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

It can be seen that the author has invested considerable effort in the book, but without a moral lesson, the book seems incomplete.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

At my old age, it hurts when important people in my life forget to wish me a happy birthday. I hope Kaylie's friends and family had a huge surprise planned for later that day. Lovely review
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

Oh gosh, the name of the book made me quite sad. Thank you for the review. I agree children's books do have to leave you with a lesson. I agree with that point. I understand why you removed a star.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Aarti Jha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aarti-jha.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Aarti Jha »

One of the best things about children's books for me is the colorful pics and i am glad this has that.Hving a moral lesson should have been a cherry on the cake for sure. Great Review!
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your interesting review. To children (and perhaps even older ones), birthday is one of their most important and exciting anniversaries of the year, so Kaylie must be very dejected when no one seems to remember it. I hope she will receive the surprise she's expecting.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

I wonder if everyone truly forgot her birthday.
I agree with you about moral lessons being an integral part of children's books.

Lovely review.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Sounds like a nice, suspenseful book for kids. Great review!
Urvashi Tripathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-urvashi-tripathi.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Urvashi Tripathi »

I liked the fact that this book only has 27 pages and have suspense too. I want to know further if really Kaylie's parents and others forgot her birthday. Thank you for the beautiful review.

Return to “Children's Books”