Review of Paul and Frank Build a Sea Zoo

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Review of Paul and Frank Build a Sea Zoo

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Paul and Frank Build a Sea Zoo" by Thomas Rippy.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Paul and Frank Build a Sea Zoo is a marvelously illustrated story about fishes in the sea. In 30 pages, Thomas Rippy rhymes about a fish tank that keeps getting bigger. How big will it get?

One day, Paul and his friend, Frank, bring home a small fish tank. Their new housemate is a yellow polka dot angelfish; soon, she invites her sea friend, the blue runner, to live with her. Paul and Frank think it’s a wonderful idea; after all, the tank is spacious. Before they know it, sardines, ballyhoo, and other scaly sea creatures decide to move in. As the tank gets crowded, Paul and Frank need to make room for their new friends. How will they accommodate this “sea zoo”? Remove the garage? Get rid of the kitchen?

This tale is captivating with jingles and vibrant vector images. Illustrated by Judith Gosse, the full-page drawings depict lively underwater sceneries. Each page has an ocean-blue background which makes the orange and yellow hues pop out. I was mesmerized by the tiny details, such as the spots on triggerfish.

Of course, the most important aspect is the message about nature appreciation. While some may argue that this isn’t a conservation story—strictly speaking, there are no environmental problems addressed—it raises interest in aquatic life. For example, the funny fish names are a curiosity.

Unfortunately, the plot was too simple. I expected to find a diversity of sea creatures, such as starfish, sea slugs, or anemones—especially in a sea zoo. Nonetheless, I was reeled in by the strange fish nomenclature and the illustrations since I reread the book multiple times.

Sadly, the fish names were incorrectly capitalized as proper nouns—resulting in a one-star reduction. Overall, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The author captured my attention; thus, a lower rating would be unfair.

The ocean theme makes this book a useful tool for a science lesson plan; I’d use it with a hands-on activity for lower elementary students. In addition, I could recommend it as a bedtime story; combined with sea wave sounds, it would add calming vibes. On the flip side, I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone looking for a heavier ocean conservation theme.

Paul and Frank Build a Sea Zoo
View: on Bookshelves
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 489
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Ever since Finding Nemo was released, I think there has been a renewed interest in sea life. I personally love animal stories with colorful illustrations.

Perhaps the author capitalized the fish names for emphasis, but I understand your point that proper grammar should be used at all times.

Thank you for a wonderful review!
🐠 🐡 :tiphat:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I would love to live in Paul & Frank's house, even if I am not a sea creature. But I love them :). Thank you for this lovely review, and the book seems marvelous!
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

It's great that children are learning important life lessons in the way that suits them best. Thanks for the good review.
Elijah Mwangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elijah-mwangi.html
Latest Review: My Living Will by John Trautwein
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Elijah Mwangi »

wow what a wonderful story to read. I think I will have to read this book for it sounds awesome.
NAKUL SANGAMNERE
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by NAKUL SANGAMNERE »

What a wonderful story it is!
Really it has very important life lesson for every one even for the people of all ages
Elaine LaBonte
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Life Lessons of Wayne
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elaine-labonte.html
Latest Review: President's Day by Stephen A. Werbel, Ph.D.

Post by Elaine LaBonte »

I enjoyed your review so much that I just took a moment to add the book to my kindle library and read it. I especially liked the unusual fish names since I used to have 15 fish tanks in my home with a 'freshwater zoo' in them, and thought I knew most of them. The way the fish brought all their friends and kept filling up the tank was creative.
Thanks
"Soon I'll find the right words, they'll be very simple ..."
Some of the Dharma, by Jack Kerouac
Urvashi Tripathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-urvashi-tripathi.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Urvashi Tripathi »

Sea zoo is something new to hear. As this book only have 30 pages and plot seems interesting, I would love to read this one. And I love reading children's book. Thank you for the beautiful review.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

Thanks for this review. In addition to learning about the book, I also learned about vector images...a new term for me.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Even despite the mentioned above issues the book seems to be inspiring enough for kids to learn about the aquatic life :) Thank you for a great review!
Hannah Fabro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-fabro.html
Latest Review: Last Dance by Stephen Manning

Post by Hannah Fabro »

Reading your review makes me excited. I hope I'll able to be either Paul or Frank, I'm sure that the feeling is fascinating. I enjoyed reading your review.
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Josephe-Anne wrote: 22 Jul 2021, 02:18 Ever since Finding Nemo was released, I think there has been a renewed interest in sea life. I personally love animal stories with colorful illustrations.

Perhaps the author capitalized the fish names for emphasis, but I understand your point that proper grammar should be used at all times.

Thank you for a wonderful review!
🐠 🐡 :tiphat:
I loved "Finding Nemo". You make a good point about capitalization. Thanks for stopping by!
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Hannah Fabro wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 01:43 Reading your review makes me excited. I hope I'll able to be either Paul or Frank, I'm sure that the feeling is fascinating. I enjoyed reading your review.
I hope you get a chance to read it too! Thanks for your kind comment!
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Ellylion wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 11:15 Even despite the mentioned above issues the book seems to be inspiring enough for kids to learn about the aquatic life :) Thank you for a great review!
I agree, children will love the images and the color!
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

diana lowery wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 09:17 Thanks for this review. In addition to learning about the book, I also learned about vector images...a new term for me.
:lol: It was new for as well, turns out books have them a lot! Thanks for stopping by!

Return to “Children's Books”