Review of tales of our boys and other critters

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 510
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 16%

Review of tales of our boys and other critters

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "tales of our boys and other critters" by bonnie louise smith-davis.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

To many people, pets are a part of the family. When their time with us has come to a close, the only things they leave with us are the memories we had with them. Tales of Our Boys and Other Critters is an adorable children’s book that tells short one-page stories about some of the animals that Bonnie Louise Smith-Davis owned over her lifetime. Not only are there cats and dogs present in the book, but there are also mentions of other unofficial pets that include Mr. Rabbit, Mr. Squirrel, Mr. Possum, and others.

When I saw the title, I immediately wanted to read this book. As an animal lover, I was excited to read about the adventures another pet owner has had. The creativity and imagination of the author are commendable. In one of the stories, the author uses a word called “dogdurate” in place of doctorate. I thought that this was a clever and humorous inclusion.

The illustrations were eye-catching and informative. The author strategically placed one before each story so readers can imagine the pet before reading further. Because readers can get an idea of what the pet looks like before reading each new chapter, they can imagine the pet getting into the shenanigans described. Later in the book, actual photographs of the pets are included. Young readers will have a great time making connections with the pictures and the stories.

I also liked that the author provides readers with advice on how to help take care of sick, injured, and sheltered pets and animals. Several organizations are listed closer to the end of the book containing many helpful tips and guides to get readers started. Parents who are introducing their children to pets and how to take care of them may find this section of the book particularly helpful.

There is only one thing that I found to be discriminatory. The author talks about adopting pets from the Humane Society to give them a “furever” home. While I love that the author encourages adoption, there are no inclusions of other alternatives. For example, readers could consider adopting an ill family member’s pet or checking into smaller local shelters. The author volunteers for the Humane Society close to where she lives, so this could be why she did not include these options.

Overall, I do not think that the one negative I found impacts the book’s message and enjoyability. There are a few errors, but they were minor. It is a sweet story that will appeal to children between the ages of five and ten. Parents should assist their children with reading this book because there are two to four paragraphs for each story. My final rating for this book is 4 out of 4 stars.

tales of our boys and other critters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
Edria Dayyinah
Favorite Book: We Were Liars
Currently Reading: Emma
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edria-dayyinah.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Edria Dayyinah »

I love this book already. This author is very creative even for a children’s book. Must read for every animal lover!
Mayur Arjune
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayur-arjune.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright

Post by Mayur Arjune »

Boys also have problems in life that are totally different from girls. But yes we do exist, and we do have feelings as well. I am going to read this book. Looks interesting.
Esther Mayonde
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Esther Mayonde »

Boys also have problems in life that are totally different from girls. But yes we do exist, and we do have feelings as well. I am going to read this book. Looks interesting.
gina_rae73
Favorite Book: Wasting Time
Currently Reading: The Poe Consequence
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gina-rae73.html
Latest Review: A Spiritual Dog: "Bear" by J. Wesley Porter
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by gina_rae73 »

This title caught my attention. I am an animal lover who has owned only male animals - cats. I didn't seek this out on purpose but it just worked out that way. I am also out-numbered in my household - my husband, two boys and one male cat. I often refer to my sons and the cat as critters so I'll enjoy this book I'm sure.
:ecrivain: Gina Rae :gaah:
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 510
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 16%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

Edria Dayyinah wrote: 26 Jul 2021, 00:19 I love this book already. This author is very creative even for a children’s book. Must read for every animal lover!
Most definitely! :D
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
IamJc_Bembo12
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamjc-bembo12.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by IamJc_Bembo12 »

Pets are our extended family. The way we took care of them is genuine. Reading this book made me love Browny more. Thanks for this fascinating review!
Theana De lima Araujo
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theana-d.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Theana De lima Araujo »

This looks adorable. I think including animals is a great way to create some little vivacious readers. I like that the book is a series of anecdotes, I often find children (especially little ones) can't always follow a story through. Maybe it could be a nice bedtime read. I also enjoyed the aspect of educating about pets and encouraging adoption. Thank you for the wonderful review. I hope you have a lovely day.
Paluk Pathania
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paluk-pathania.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Paluk Pathania »

I still had memories of my previous pets that had passed away. I believe the author has already done an excellent job in creating a book on this subject. Not only that, but I admire how he also instructs the audience on how to care for stray pets. Thanks for the review!^^
Avishi
Currently Reading: all body bags and no knickers
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avishi.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade
Reading Device: Pdf

Post by Avishi »

I never had a pet till now. But I love to have one in near future. By your review I understand this book is really nice to read. Good review.

Return to “Children's Books”