Review of Cat Heads

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Review of Cat Heads

Post by Mwatu »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Cat Heads" by Christine Rasmussen.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Cat Heads by Christine Rasmussen is a child's book about two cats, Ramona and Abby. The book is written in the first-person narrative from the perspective of the cats' owner. Each page contains illustrations that support the text, and the words rhyme too.

Abby is the more mischievous of the two. She tries sneaking off each chance she gets. She finally gets a chance to sneak off and enjoys herself until she runs into the neighbor's dog. The dog thinks it is a lovely idea to chase Abby around. Abby finds a place to hide, and soon darkness creeps in. When she fails to return home, Abby's owner and Ramona set off to find her.

The book cover contains images of both Ramona and Abby as well as vibrant, coloured paw prints. I counted seven colours from the paw prints. This is a brilliant way to elicit interest in the book from children. I also enjoyed the colourful images throughout the book. The pictures of Ramona and Abby are very expressive, and the first two are very warm. The pictures, I feel, encourage potential readers to engage with the book. As the book progressed, it was straightforward to differentiate between Abby and Ramona, and I believe there would be no confusion for children on who is who. I also loved seeing from the illustrations that Ramona was involved in the search for Abby. The title stood out for me too.

My major dislike with the book is that the words get mumbled up in the Kindle app for Android. There was no spacing between words, and some letters were on top of each other. The web version suffered the same fate but with less intensity. There was spacing between some of the words, but a decent number lacked spacing, and a few letters overlapped. Additionally, it would have been pleasant to clarify which house exactly is Ramona's and Abby's from the picture of their neighborhood.

Other than the formatting, I noted no errors in the book. As the formatting issues were extensive, I rate Cat Heads three out of four. The book is enjoyable because of the rhymes and is a fast read as it is only 28 pages long. The illustrations are inviting, and the storyline is easy to follow.

I recommend this book to children aged one to seven. It is fantastic for a bedtime story or leisure.

Moderator's Note: The editing issues mentioned in the review have since been corrected.

Cat Heads
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
MoeBrown
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moebrown.html
Latest Review: Break up with him now by Lena Lubinka

Post by MoeBrown »

Too bad about the formatting issues, I do hope the author does something about this. Apart from that, I do believe kids would love a short book like this. Good review, thanks.
Jagiine
Currently Reading: Children of Virtue and Vengeance
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jagiine.html
Latest Review: A Collection of Poetry by Cheree Scott

Post by Jagiine »

A kid's book with rhymes and good pictures is sure to be a win! I wish books were converted into the Kindle format with less issue. Hopefully, this one gets fixed in the future.
IamJc_Bembo12
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamjc-bembo12.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by IamJc_Bembo12 »

Indeed a book for kids. I’ll definitely add this one to my bookshelf and read it to my little niece. Thanks for this astounding review!
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Mwatu »

MoeBrown wrote: 27 Jul 2021, 07:51 Too bad about the formatting issues, I do hope the author does something about this. Apart from that, I do believe kids would love a short book like this. Good review, thanks.
I hope it won't be too much work for the author as the book is good. Thank you for stopping by!
Jagiine wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 11:58 A kid's book with rhymes and good pictures is sure to be a win! I wish books were converted into the Kindle format with less issue. Hopefully, this one gets fixed in the future.
I look forward to it being fixed. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
IamJc_Bembo12 wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 22:06 Indeed a book for kids. I’ll definitely add this one to my bookshelf and read it to my little niece. Thanks for this astounding review!
I hope that you little niece enjoys it. Thank you for reading through!
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

I love and read children's book a lot. And what I enjoy most are the beautiful and amazing illustrations and moral lessons. This book seems to have what I look out for, so I'd add it to my shelf. Thanks for a well-detailed review.
derialist
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-derialist.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by derialist »

The visual elements do help encourage engagement, especially for young readers. It's great that this book that. Thanks for the wonderful review!
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

What a nice story for children! Thank you for this delightful review!
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Janet Kimetto »

Hopefully the formatting is fixed soon because from your description, this is a really good book. Thanks for the wonderful review!
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Uzo_Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uzo-reviews.html
Latest Review: Snow Country Lane by Sarah Vail

Post by Uzo_Reviews »

Too bad kindle didn't provide a good view for the Android version. I'm sure they'll look into that. Nice review.
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 489
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

The title is unusual, but the book sounds great apart from the formatting issues. I really like stories that have nice illustrations, and this one has them. Abby the cat sounds like quite the character!

Thank you for your detailed review.
🐱 :techie-studyingbrown:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Urvashi Tripathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-urvashi-tripathi.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Urvashi Tripathi »

This book seems so interesting and unique. I would love to give this a try. I hope Abby will be fine and get returned to her owner. Thank you for the amazing review.

Return to “Children's Books”