Review of The Witch’s Cookbook

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Review of The Witch’s Cookbook

Post by Erin Dydek »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Witch’s Cookbook" by Vee James.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Tardnattle is a young Sgahm, a halfling of the Wee Folk of Faerie, who dreams of becoming a great chef. The numerous lessons he has learned from his GrandMahma Jahm and his Oldy Jahm have helped him master many recipes and life lessons, but his greatest challenge lies before him. After finding a cookbook, he feels responsible for returning it to its rightful owner; unfortunately, that owner happens to be a wicked witch.

As the adventure to return the witch's cookbook begins, Tardnattle will step out of his comfort zone and into the unknown. Returning the cookbook may be a daunting task, but he'll learn along the way and apply the wisdom taught by his elders to achieve more than he ever dreamed possible.

Vee James introduces young middle-grade readers to the world of fantasy adventure in The Witch's Cookbook. I loved how many lessons the author incorporated into this approximately 200-page book. Most importantly, I appreciated how the book emphasized the value of acting brave even when you don't feel brave. There are so many challenges and changes youngsters face while growing up that they could use a little bravery to overcome. Tardnattle deftly applied the lessons his elders taught him in an easy-to-relate-to manner that young readers will find encouraging and inspiring.

I also loved how the book focused on highlighting the strengths and weaknesses that different people have. The book featured the Wee Folk, Fairies and Saghms; Big Ones, the Faerie name for humans; and, of course, the Witch. The different sizes, shapes, and species displayed the particular strength needed to overcome the current challenge at various points. My favorite scenes were the ones where two characters combined their talents and worked together. This theme would be valuable for school-age children and even siblings who must learn to work with bigger or smaller kids, who each have different personalities, strengths, beliefs, and values.

This well-edited book was engaging and provided age-appropriate action and adventure. I noticed a few redundancies in the narrative as an adult reader, but I don't think the repeated information will distract younger readers. Since I disliked nothing about the book, I gladly give The Witch's Cookbook four out of four stars.

I'd recommend this story to advanced young readers ready to try longer chapter books. There are colorful illustrations at the beginning of each chapter that will appeal to kids and adults alike, so adult readers may want to read along with their children. There was very little violence and no gore. The delightful characters and clever storytelling make The Witch's Cookbook an excellent introduction to the fantasy genre for young readers!

The Witch’s Cookbook
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Elon Gathungu
Favorite Book: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elon-gathungu.html
Latest Review: Red Wave Imperative by Alan Schein

Post by Elon Gathungu »

The book seems like an engaging read for advanced pre-teen readers. A good story about ambition and coming into your own. My younger sibling will definitely enjoy it.
Snigdha Pandey
Favorite Author: David Levithan
Favorite Book: Burn for Me (Hidden Legacy, #1)
Currently Reading: One last stop
Bookshelf Size: 316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snigdha-pandey.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi
fav_author_id: 5798

Post by Snigdha Pandey »

I'm not really a kid, but it sounds so fun! A half faerie who wants to be a chef. And he found the witch's cook book which he feels obliged to return. I love faerie stories, but they are mostly dark. This sounds like a very interesting take on the topic.
Gwen Nakato
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Gwen Nakato »

I am really fond of adventurous stories and even movies that's why I find the book seem interesting and the owner of the book being a witch makes it more of horror like which sounds fun to read.
collinsogw555
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collinsogw555.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by collinsogw555 »

I loved the storyline this is a quest he needs to undertake. Great review
Theana De lima Araujo
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theana-d.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Theana De lima Araujo »

This seems like a unique take on fantasy. The mention of the book belonging to a witch had me conjuring up Hansel and Gretel in my mind...and I really am wondering how it will turn out. Thank you for the lovely review.
Amanda Dobson
Currently Reading: The King's Trial
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-dobson.html
Latest Review: The Quest For The Phoenix Crown by Xander T. Petersen
Reading Device: Apple

Post by Amanda Dobson »

This sounds like a great adventure to young readers. I love it when the book teaches the reader different life lessons. Reading your review gave me all the information I needed to want to have this book in my collection of books for my school age daycare program. It is a book that will stand the test of time because of the nature of the book and the lessons it teaches. Thank you for the amazing review.
Fredrick Odiwuor
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Fredrick Odiwuor »

Being a great cook is a dream of everyone including me this really great but the question is how come the book is from a witch it sound dangerously to me a witch is associated with an act of dirty things like killing making people to suffer imagine you reading a recipe from a witch shocking I wonder what shall happen mmmmhhh interesting
Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ailakhu-yusau-aizhebiomon.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic

Post by Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon »

Having read many adventurous kid books, I think this will be another interesting one to add to my bookshelf. Thanks for the review.
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

It seems more appropriate for middle-graders rather than children, as the plot requires a certain degree of understanding and comprehension. The book in itself is fantastic, and so is the review.

Return to “Children's Books”