Review of The blue crayon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dimi1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dimi1.html
Latest Review: One Woman's Long and Lonely Walk by Gail Hart

Review of The blue crayon

Post by Dimi1 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The blue crayon" by Vanessa Adelaide.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Blue Crayon by Vanessa Adelaide is an illustrated children’s book about a forgotten blue crayon that needs to get out of his boredom and his practical uselessness and become a vital part of Jimmy’s and Amy’s daily routine. The crayon seems to follow the fate that forgotten toys follow, and this leads to him being disappointed and resigned. All seem negative and predefined until an unexpected turn of events revives hope and expectations.

The book is full of beautiful illustrations that will surely appeal to children due to being unsophisticated and naturalistic. They are pictures that any kid could do or think it could do and, as such, I consider that the book becomes more approachable to the target group it wishes to reach. Moreover, it uses simple words and a smooth flow that will help children to easily understand its meaning and inner messages. Lastly, I spotted only one typo error, so the book seems professionally edited.

Considering the part with the inner messages that the author wishes to pass, I think that she creates great expectations for the reader. In her initial note, she states that she wishes to draw attention to matters of “resilience, problem solving, exploring change, understanding feelings and… hope”. By reading the book, I feel that the reader mostly gains a glimpse of most of these matters rather than a thorough look. One can probably see some parallelisms to the values promoted but not to the point that the messages are clear and stimulating for future action.

Overall, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars for good illustrating, a vocabulary that seems fitting to its target group, and the values it wishes to stand for. One star was deducted because the story seems predictable and a bit superficial considering the way it passes its messages.

In the above given context, I think that the book is going to appeal to children at preschool age. On the other hand, it probably prevents children older than 5 from reading it, considering that, in the modern era with access to a plethora of information, they would probably prefer a more sophisticated and challenging reading.

The blue crayon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Eddy E
Currently Reading: In the Meantime
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eddy-e.html
Latest Review: Sena's Black Ross by Linda k jones

Post by Eddy E »

This sounds like a lovely children's book. The story of the forgotten crayon passes a deeper message.
Kanchan Bhil
Currently Reading: That Guy What Kill Topsy
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanchan-bhil.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Kanchan Bhil »

I am an adult, and I love illustrations in any book. Recently I read a non-fiction book with doodles and illustrations in it and I enjoyed it more that way. The idea behind the book is what we observe in any kid's day-to-day life. Thank you for this great review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Killing Machine
Bookshelf Size: 428
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a nice book for children, useful for parents who like to read to their little children and teachers. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

What a lovely book! Thank you for this delightful review!
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I like that the book is richly illustrated. I am sure that this book will be a great choice for children.
Jagiine
Currently Reading: Children of Virtue and Vengeance
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jagiine.html
Latest Review: A Collection of Poetry by Cheree Scott

Post by Jagiine »

I love blue. Cerulean was actually my favorite crayon, but blue was also very cherished! I'm not surprised or disappointed that it was predictable, but I understand why you took off a star for that. Thanks for your review!
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

Thanks for the review. I love reading children's books. But honestly, I think I will have to skip this one.
Chiwelite O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwelite-o.html
Latest Review: The Water Bear by Groucho Jones

Post by Chiwelite O »

I wonder what the unexpected turn of events that brought back hope is? My children could find this book engaging. Thank you!
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I love when a children's book offers an important message :) And kids would love a beautifully illustrated book. Thanks for a great review!
Dimi1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dimi1.html
Latest Review: One Woman's Long and Lonely Walk by Gail Hart

Post by Dimi1 »

Eddy E wrote: 24 Aug 2021, 04:42 This sounds like a lovely children's book. The story of the forgotten crayon passes a deeper message.
Thank you indeed for stopping by!
Ellylion wrote: 07 Sep 2021, 06:16 I love when a children's book offers an important message :) And kids would love a beautifully illustrated book. Thanks for a great review!
Thank you for putting in a good word!
Chiwelite O wrote: 04 Sep 2021, 07:22 I wonder what the unexpected turn of events that brought back hope is? My children could find this book engaging. Thank you!
Yep that's a good cliffhanger that could engage children. Thanks!
Medhansh Bhardwaj wrote: 29 Aug 2021, 10:45 Thanks for the review. I love reading children's books. But honestly, I think I will have to skip this one.
Thank you for stopping by!
Jagiine wrote: 27 Aug 2021, 14:00 I love blue. Cerulean was actually my favorite crayon, but blue was also very cherished! I'm not surprised or disappointed that it was predictable, but I understand why you took off a star for that. Thanks for your review!
Thank you for your point. Most of children's books are predictable but I think that what probably intrigues and stay with them them is if something unexpected happens. Thanks again for your comment!
markodim721 wrote: 26 Aug 2021, 12:23 I like that the book is richly illustrated. I am sure that this book will be a great choice for children.
Yep, illustrations are fine. Thank you!
Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 25 Aug 2021, 04:22 What a lovely book! Thank you for this delightful review!
Thank you indeed!
NetMassimo wrote: 25 Aug 2021, 01:33 This seems like a nice book for children, useful for parents who like to read to their little children and teachers. Thank you for your great review!

Thank you for your comments!
Kanchan Bhil wrote: 24 Aug 2021, 11:34 I am an adult, and I love illustrations in any book. Recently I read a non-fiction book with doodles and illustrations in it and I enjoyed it more that way. The idea behind the book is what we observe in any kid's day-to-day life. Thank you for this great review!
Yep it's a casual book with small ups and downs. That's why it's a decent children's book. Thank you!

Return to “Children's Books”