Review of The Buffalo Run

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Oyedeji Okikioluwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 964
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orizon.html
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi

Review of The Buffalo Run

Post by Oyedeji Okikioluwa »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Buffalo Run" by Z.Zoffe.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Buffalo Run is a novel by Z. Zoffe, which was inspired by her unforgettable childhood experiences. It chronicles the exploits of four youngsters, Sham, Aza, Naz, and Liza, during their summer vacation in Malacca. The book captured the essence of childhood, including the joy, the carefree attitude, and the experience of the four children's activities.

Their first day was spent in and around their grandmother's house exploring and discovering interesting areas to relax and play. In the cloth hammock and wooden square bench, they found under the house, they swung, sang, and relaxed. Their favorite spot to spend time was in the green paddy fields with an endless blue sky, where they ran and walked endlessly, enjoying the scenery and relishing the atmosphere with reckless abandon. The exciting experience was almost ruined by a tiny incident that takes place in the paddy fields. What could have gone wrong? Read to find out.

The storyline perfectly suits the targeted audience as the vocabulary is simple and easy to read. Also, the images create a clear illustration of what is being narrated in the book. Furthermore, the author's writing style made the story easy to grasp and enjoyable to read. My favorite character was Sham, as he played a huge role in the interesting book.

There are some things I disliked in the book. First, it is the sparseness of the activities featured in it. This made the book too short, and the ending was abrupt. The reader wasn't given time to get to know the children and enjoy their holiday adventures a little longer with them since the book covers a day's activity. In addition, the book is not well edited, as I discovered an ample number of typographical errors while reading the book. I suggest that the author take the book through another round of editing to make it flawless. Therefore, I rate The Buffalo Run 2 out of 4 stars.

I recommend this book to children between the ages of 7 to 14 because they will love the creativity and entertainment in the book. Also, I believe the activities and images in the book will appeal to their young mind.

The Buffalo Run
View: on Bookshelves
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi
Mbenma Esther 080
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbenma-esther-080.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mbenma Esther 080 »

I am picturing my childhood scenes and feel like going back but No let's leave it for children to enjoy. Awesome review.

Return to “Children's Books”